Saturday, October 19, 2013

Guns, Bitches and Weed - Left Boy Review by James


The first time I ever heard of this guy was from my friend Jon on facebook. He posted a song by Left Boy called “Get It Right”. That song is so sick that I had to start listening to Left Boy, which I have been since then. So I really like this guy. He’s so crazy. The stuff he says in his raps is just so ridicules. I’m kind of mad that this mixtape is only 7 songs long and that he isn’t really known in America. All of the titles are put as caps on the mixtape so I gotta do that too. 







HEALTHY EGO

This song makes you want to get stuff done. It’s so hype. The beat on this song is bonkers and so is this song. It’s basically a song about his ego and how everyone loves and him and wants stuff from him. I think the last verse is so dank. He has so much money that he doesn’t even care about cars or jewelry. All he cares about is his raps.
Strong first song for a mixtape. Great energy and I really like his style of rapping.


DARK EYES

This song is insane. It’s named after the sample used for it, which is some Russian Gypsy song. Let that sink in for a moment. He sampled a weird ass Gypsy song (that I just listened to and it sounds so weird) and makes it into this hype song.  The energy continues if not increases. His flow is so good in this song and he just goes in on the beat. 
This song is basically about him and a girl at first but then it morphs into a song about his money and fame and then after that it morphs into a song about him being the best at the club. 
I laugh every time I heard the line:

“ Best of the best of the best
Take a big fat shit on your homegirl’s chest.”

Those lines just remind me of this kid in high school, that when I was a Freshman talked  shit to me after he mistook my kindness to his girl as me trying to sleep with her, saying how cool he was and that he was the best. The weekend after that incident at a party he apparently did what that line says and was henceforth known as Chester. Shoutout to Chester, whatever your actual name is. 
But carrying on, I really like the outro to this song. It fits so well, and the way the song slows down for him to say that is just sick.


SWEET DREAMS

Everyone should recognize the sample used in this song. The way he raps to this song is awesome. I think it’s sick that he actually includes the chorus of the sample, but says it himself. 
Basically a song about why girls should sleep with him because he’s rich and famous and a hella good rapper. But I have to say, it works for him. His delivery is on point and this song sounds hella good. I love how the song ends right when he is done rapping.


FEELING FOR YOU

He uses a good sample for this song and although the energy is toned down a bit, he still has a lot of it. I laughed at the part where he puts in the Obama “Yes, we can.”
The hook is sick. I don’t mind this song that much, but it didn’t really blow me away.


THOUSAND MILES

I can’t believe he used the sample. It’s so sick. It starts out kind of iffy, but once he starts rapping it gets so much better. This is the first serious song on the mixtape, if not the only and I like it a lot. It’s a song about how he will give up his current girl, just for his ex. He says that they were real and that what he has now is a lie. I can kind of relate to this song, minus being rich and all that jazz, but thats irrelevant. It’s a deep song, and it still sounds sick. 


ID

I like the guitar in this song and I also like the drum. This song might not sound as hype as the first two, but he still goes in on it. He has a grotesque imagery in this song, and although it does not really bother me, it surprised me. I feel like a lot of people wouldn’t like this song because of that, but whatever. This song is just about how he likes to party and how he likes girls a lot. I still like it regardless though. 


TAKE IT

This song might be my favorite song on the whole mixtape. I like the guitar in the beginning and the way that this song sounds. His flow is so dank. 
He starts off the song with stuff that his haters say to him and then is hook is him saying he doesn’t care what they say and that he will keep doing what he is doing with his friends. I really like the part where he says that the haters say that he’s only big because his dads rich, to which he basically replies “Here’s a pile of money, now make music and everyone will tell you that you suck.” He’s right though, he’s not good because his dad has money. He’s good because he’s an entertaining rapper.



All and all I really enjoyed this mixtape. You can easily listen to it from front to back not problem. I kinda like that most of the songs are under 3 minutes and that there are only 7 songs on the mixtape. 
I really enjoyed this mixtape and would give it a 8.5/10. I’m gonna go pregame for  whatever I’m doing tonight, so take it easy guys and have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment