Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Marshall Matters LP 2 - Eminem - First Glance by James

So we broke 1000 views today and Eminem’s new album leaked today as well, so I decided to do a first glance of it as a celebration of the 1000 views.
I was really excited for this album, so lets see if I was rightfully excited or not.



Bad Guy feat Sarah Jaffe

Holy shit. This is a sequel to Stan. There could not have been a better beginning to this album. The song starts out mellow and sounds like a chill song and it took me a couple of verses to realize that it was a song out of Stan’s brother, Matthew. 
I really like the second verse, it just sounds so dank the way Em raps. His flow is crazy. In the third verse, Matthew sneaks into Em’s house and kills him the same way that sSan dies, by driving off a bridge.
After that, there is a beat change and a verse, which Em destroys. I’m so excited for the rest of the album. This is a really strong beginning.


Rhyme or Reason

Em really hates his dad that he doesn't know haha. The first part about this song is about the rap game and how it’s not dying. It’s full of dank Star Wars lines.
After that he just goes in about his dad that he does not know. It classical Em and it’s great. The hook is really mellow though, and that kind of makes a nice break between the verses. I like the line:

“Hip hop is the devil’s music.
Is that me? Does it belong to me?”

He’s saying he’s the devil. Damn yo, all these rappers lately are saying that they are gods and shit, but not Em. He’s the devil.
I really like the Chief Keef reference in the last verse and I also like how he ends it by saying “Dad, I’m back at it again.”
He’s back and you can tell. Solid song.

So Much Better

Damn, here is the Em hate song to a girl haha. So much anger and aggression in this song.
It starts off with him calling the girl and then he just goes in on her. I like the 99 Problems” line, because I love that song.
The ending made me laugh because it reminds me of “Heartbeat” by Gambeezy, where he just contradicts the whole song.

Survival feat Liz Rodrigues

I didn’t like this song at first, because it’s the theme song for that new Call of Duty game and I felt that Em had sold out to them, but the I noticed that Em actually goes super hard in this song. The beat is insane and Em destroys it. Em’s first line is already insane:

“Wasn’t ready to be no millionaire, I was ill-prepared.
I was prepared to be ill though, the skill was there.”

His delivery in this song is just crazy. This song really shows how good Em is and that he is really one of the best. I like the shot at Drake’s Acronym. Much needed. 
This song is the most hype song on the album till now, not hype as in party hype, but hype as in most energetic. I like it.

Legacy feat ???

I don’t really like this song that much. It’s not a bad one, but I don’t really like songs by rappers talking about how they were bullied and shit. It’s interesting to see how far he has come since then though. Back then he was bullied and shit and nowadays nobody dares to mess with him, because he will destroy them.

Asshole feat Skyler Grey

This song has crazy energy in it. I like the “ Lose Yourself” reference in it.
His flow is so good in this song and so is the beat.
I really like the part where he makes fun of ICP, because lets face it, they are laughable. It kind of runs on awhile though. I have mixed feelings about this song. Real mixed feelings.

Berzerk

This might be my favorite song on the album. It sounds like the Beastie Boys meet old Em. 
The lines are so good in it and it’s catchy. So many pop culture references in this, from Chief Keef to Kendrick to the Kardashians. 
This song is so upbeat and it’s just dank.

Rap God

I take back what I said about “Berzerk" being my favorite song. This song is insane. Em goes in for 6 minutes and it’s some of the best rapping I’ve heard in awhile. I’m really, really impressed by this song. The beat is really good and I like how Em just changed his rap style midway through the song.

Brainless

I never think I would say this, but I’m bored. I reached the point where I’m bored. I have no desire to hear the rest of the album anymore. This is the first time I have ever had this problem. Wow. I don’t know what to say.
I mean this song isn’t bad, but I just reached the point at which I don’t care anymore.

Stronger than I was

What the fuck. Thats all I have to say.

Monster feat Rihanna

His raps are alright, but Rihanna isn’t good in this song. This song is too dance/popish for Em. I’m well beyond the point of interest in this album.

So Far…

The intro to this song sparked my interest again, but the rest of the song quickly got rid of that. I dislike country music so yea. Only good part is the intro, the bridge and the part where the beat changes to the beat of “the real slim shady”

Love Game feat Kendrick Lamar

I actually don’t mind this song. I like the sample and it kinda sounds dank, I think. This might have saved the whole album. I don’t really listen to Kendrick that much, but he makes this song.
Kendrick’s verse is really good I think.

Headlights

Damn, my homie from Fun. is on this? I used to listen to these guys before they got all famous.
I don’t like these slow songs from Em though. I’m sorry.

Evil Twin

This song is alright. Nothing special sadly.




Finally done. I am so happy I am done with this album. I’m sorry but it’s just not as good as everyone thought it would be. I was bored and the last songs were hard to listen too. I’m really disappointed and yea. I was gonna get gifs and pictures for this, but I’m so mad that I don’t care about it. Mike can do a full review on this if he wants. I’m sure as hell not gonna. This shit might have ruined my day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment