Friday, December 13, 2013

Trap Lord - A$AP Ferg Review

Yooo, whats good? I decided to review “Trap Lord” even though the poll isn’t over, because frankly no one voted. I’ll remove that, but that’s no prob.
You might have noticed that there are now ads on the blog. Thats because I decided I wanted to make a bit of money with my blog.
Anyways, here’s the review.





Trap Lord - A$AP Ferg

A$AP Ferg is part of the A$AP Mob, which is basically a really good and famous rapper (A$AP Rocky), a decent rapper (A$AP Ferg) and their ten homies.

Let It Go

Ok, first off A$AP Yams does the intro and he scares me.
The beat on this song is sick. It’s kind of tribal. I like the way Ferg sounds in this. It’s a catchy song and I like his rap style. It’s nice listening to this after listening to so much Run the Jewels and other stuff. This is easy listening rap. I like how Ferg raps with those short lines. 
I used to think that Rocky was hood, but damn yo, Ferg is way more hood. The hook of this song is straight up about murdering someone.
I don’t like the outro for the same reason as the intro.

Shabba feat A$AP Rocky



This is one of the best songs off of the whole album. Also probably the catchiest song of the album. This song is one big dedication to Shabba Ranks, a Jamaican dancehall legend. This song kinda has a laid back vibe to it. 
Rocky and Ferg both go in on this beat though, even though they both are basically just talking about doing women, but once else is new?
I think that the way the first two verses begin is pretty funny and clever from them. I also like the line where Rocky tells a girl not to touch his braids. He really is that pretty motherfucker.
The absolute gem of this song, the thing that makes it so great is this line:

“Yams got a bottle of Henny, going straight to the face”

That line actually means that A$AP Yams is getting belligerently drunk off of Henny, but Yams has a birth defect or something and his face has a large mark on his cheek. Ferg took an accidental shot at him and I think that that is hilarious. (It’s ok to laugh at Yams because he acts like he’s super hood, when he doesn’t do anything.)



Lord feat Bone-Thugs-n-Harmony

I am hella impressed by how hard everyone in this song goes. This song is just completely insane. The beat is really simple, but they all go in so hard. One thing I have to complain about though. It’s the religious stuff. Ferg had a hook about killing people 2 songs ago and now he’s talking about Allah. I understand that he is saying that he is saying that he is the Trap Lord at the end of his verse and during the hook, but still. The outro is like a prayer and I find that weird too. Kanye tried to say that he is a god and I have to say, he is more of a god than Ferg ever will be, and I like Ferg.

Hood Pope

I just did some research about Ferg and his trap lord shit and I found this quote in an interview he did with XXL:

A Trap Lord is basically the struggle to do better. It’s almost like the theme of Always Strive And Prosper (A$AP). Trap don’t necessarily mean you selling drugs. You could be selling clothes, watches, fake watches, gold teeth, hats—anything. You just trapping. And you a Lord of it.”

Now everything makes more sense. I can respect that. 

Now to this song, I hate this song. The beat is simple, which isn’t bad, but then Ferg does this shitty singing voice and it’s really annoying. I don’t know why I dislike this song so much, there is just something about it I dislike.



Fergivicious 

I like his energy in this song. I also like the beat and how intense of a song it is. Lots of references to his dad. I like this song. I enjoy the way that Ferg raps, it’s unique. 

4:02

This is really awkward to listen too. His one verse in it is kinda dope though. But it’s really not worth the full listen.

Dump Dump

This song isn’t too bad, I don’t really mind it that much. The beat is good and his raps are on point. What makes me mad about it, is that he dissed the Raider Klan, but that’s something for another day.
I like the part where he talks about how he was right next to Meek Mill when the fight between Chris Brown’s posse and Drake’s entourage happened. I wish I could just go clubbing with all these rappers.

Work (Remix) feat A$AP Rocky, French Montana, Schoolboy Q & Trinidad James



Damn yo, this song goes so hard. The beat is great and every single rapper goes in on it, even French Montana and lets face it, he sucks.
But everyone is good in this song. I think Rocky wins this one though, even though Ferg does come with a Biggie reference and Schoolboy Q comes with his “Yawk, Yawk, Yawk”. This is my second favorite song off of the album. 



Didn’t Wanna Do That

This song is about how one of his homies got robbed. I think it’s cool that he tries to tell a story, but this one is kinda weird. I mean it’s lyrical good but it’s too short of a story to be any good content wise.

Murda Something feat Waka Flocka Flames

This song is crazy. The beat is insane and it features Waka. Waka is one of my favorite rappers. I need to explain this real quick, so people don’t misunderstand why he is one of my favorites. He’s not a good rapper, he just makes hella hype music. He’s there to hype people up and he does that.

This is a perfect hype song. It makes me wanna party. Which is weird, since it’s about how Waka and Ferg aren’t scared of killing people and how the “gangster” lifestyle works out pretty well for them. I think it’s a pretty dope song though.

Make A Scene feat Maad Moiselle 

We all know how I feel about adding girls to your song to make it more radio friendly or whatever, but I like this song. I have a love/hate relationship with the way Ferg raps. Sometimes I like it a lot and sometimes I hate it. I like it in this song. It’s a laid back song, which picks up energy when he raps. I think it’s dope that the song ends with what is basically an intro to the next song.

Fuck Out Of My Face feat A$ton Matthews, B-Real & Onyx

I was skeptical about this song when I first saw it coming up, but then I noticed it has B-Real on it. The beat is also hella dope, it’s a trippyish beat, which gives the whole song a dreamish quality to it. How does Ferg keep getting all these old ass rappers to do features on his songs? Thats so cool. I like this song, even though the hook is kinda repetitive even before the first one is done.
I love B-Reals Miley Cyrus references. He’s still got it.

Cocaine Castle

I don’t really like this song that much. It’s too singy again. He does a better job at rapping then singing.




I liked this album, although it had it’s moments of weaknesses, it also had plenty of sick features and sick beats. I’ll give it a 8/10. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment