Tuesday, October 15, 2013

My Name is my Name-Pusha T Review by James


Hey, it’s James. Whats good? First off, I came into this album not really knowing of Pusha T besides his song with Tyler, the Creator and “Numbers on the board”. So I was a bit skeptical at first, like I knew he could rap but didn’t know if it was gonna be a good album. I ended up really impressed by it. He has a very interesting rap voice and beat selection. This album is weird though, because it’s not one of those albums just made to sell a boatload of copies. It’s just Pusha T doing his thing and going hard. It’s dirty and grimy and I love it haha.




King Push

This song just hypes me up, like damn. It’s a strong beat but it has an insane energy to it. Combined with Pusha’s energy and flow it is a really strong start to an album and it really got me excited for the rest of the album. 
I can’t get over the fact that the chorus is a subliminal stab at Drake, since it goes:

“I’m King Push, this king push.
I rap n*gga ‘bout trap n*ggas,
I don’t sing hooks.”

That basically sums up Pusha T, he’s saying that he is a king and better than other rappers and his talk about the trap is a reference to his past of selling coke. I think it’s crazy that he sold coke and just casually raps about it. Anyway back to the Drake thing, he’s saying that unlike Drake, he doesn’t get all emotional and shit on his hooks. He just raps through them, and on this song, he does so especially hard.
I also really like the line where he compares himself to the lead singer of Rage against the machine, Zack de la Rocha. Like yo, that band is dope and they go so ridiculously hard. Just like Pusha in this song.


Numbers on the Board

The first time I heard this song was after Mike and I listened to that new Asher Roth mixtape and Mike heard the beat and showed me this song. I was impressed, even though the video is hard to watch because Pusha has those crazy eyes and makes weird head movements.

I really enjoy this song, it makes me want to get up and go get shit done. I’m listening to it right now and I’m swaying to the beat. His energy continues in this song and again, no singing hook, actually no hook at all. That Jay-Z sample sounds sick and then he ups the energy with the next song. This is one of the best songs on the album, hands down.



Sweet Seranade feat Chris Brown

First off, I want to say I really, really don’t like Chris Brown, BUT he sounds good in this song, partially because he doesn’t sound like himself haha. Secondly, this is the third song on the album and it is also really dope. It’s rare to find an album where so many songs in a row are so dank. The beat is good and Pusha is still keeping his energy up.
The second verse of this song is insane. At first it just sounds like a normal Pusha verse, but check this out.

“Supreme Ballas, all my n*ggas got ESPY's
Triple doubles, both wrist and neck freeze
Triple doubles, two bricks and tech squeeze
Triple doubles, two hoes and check please(Wooo!)
They love me on my Ric Flair shit(Wooo!)
In that Phantom like I'm Blair Witch(Wooo!)
Who are you to be compared with?(Wooo!)

Ok, so he sets up his whole rhyme thing about triple doubles up with the first line, but then in the next three lines, he makes two references in each of them. That equals a triple double! Then after all that he starts with that “Wooo!” thing that Ric Flair used to do. How can you not like that?
Hold On feat Rick Ross

The first 25 seconds of this song annoy the hell out of me. What the  kind of noise is that? I don’t really like this song. I don’t like that Rick Ross is in it and I really don’t like that he compares himself with 2Pac. I find the beat kind of boring and that weird harmonizing or whatever keeps going on in the background. I didn’t really enjoy this song.

Suicide feat Ab-Liva

This beat is so sick. It’s one of those songs that I feel like would sound sick in a car with the bass up. Pusha comes with the talk about selling drugs again, thats what he’s about apparently. Whatever floats his boat.
I really like the line “pound sign, been trilla”. The way he says it just sounds so dope. Pusha has a good energy and flow in this song, as he has been having during the whole album. 
Ab-liva is in this song and he’s pretty good, I guess. I mean I have no big urge to listen to his other stuff, but he doesn’t sound horrible.

40 Acres feat The-Dream

This song is weird to me. Pusha raps good and I don’t really mind The-Dream, even though I don’t really like him. It just sounds completely different than anything else on the album. I’m not saying that this is a bad thing, I actually think it adds to the flow of the album because at this point I needed a break from the songs where Pusha was just doing his usual thing. I mean he still is, but The-Dream gives the song a kind of R&B sound i guess. This song reminds me of that the Game song with Lil Wayne “My life”. It’s a good that this song is on the album.

No Regrets feat Jeezy & Kevin Cossom

I think that this song is dope and I really don’t mind the fact that Jeezy is in it. I don’t know who the hell Kevin Cossom is and honestly I don’t really care. He definitely adds to the song though. Jeezy actually has an alright verse although I hate his style of rapping. Pusha sounds like he is trying to lead the way for people and he makes references to selling hope and leading the way. Solid song, not a song that I would have on repeat, but one that I would listen to every once and awhile.

Let Me Love You feat Kelly Rowland

I don’t like this song at all. I really dislike most rap songs when they have female vocalists sing the hook. This song is just really uninteresting to me. I feel like this song was just put on the album so that girls would listen to it or something like that.

Who I Am feat 2 Chainz & Big Sean

If I had to rank the songs, I would most def say that this is my second favorite song on the album. The beat is dope, all of the rappers on the song go in on it, the hook is good and has Pusha’s Ric Flair thing on it and it’s not too long. 
2 Chainz has his typical redic verse that barely makes sense but it still sounds good. 2 Chainz is so fresh, that his crew dresses fresh when they just hang out together and drink beers or whatever it is that 2 Chainz and his homies do.
 Big Sean’s verse is pretty good. He has a weird rap style but I like it. 

Nosetalgia feat Kendrick Lamar

I’m impressed by this song. It has a simple ass beat and Kendrick and Pusha just go in on it. It’s three and a half minutes of two good ass rappers going in. This song has some of the most vivid imagery of any rap song I’ve ever heard.

“ Two beepers on me, Starter jacket that was two toned,
  Four lockers, four different bitches got their mule on”

Imagine that shit. A younger Pusha T with two beepers on him for drug deals and then four different girls storing the drugs and muling it around. Thats crazy.
Kendrick goes in and raps about his past as well, although where Pusha’s verse is about him selling coke and shit, Kendrick’s is about his dad’s drug abuse and living during the period of time in the 80’s where it was an epidemic.

Pain feat Future

Does anyone actually like Future? He’s horrible. He uses way to much auto-tune and just does not sound the least bit appealing to me. Pusha is good in this song, so it’s not horrible, but it’s not good either. All because of Future. He just needs to go home and stop rapping.

S.N.I.T.C.H. feat Pharrell Williams

This song sounds really good, it’s like really chill. I think it’s interesting that Pharrell  plays the part of of the good friend of Pusha, who turned into a snitch to get a lighter jail sentence, and Pusha, who plays himself. This song also serves as a good ending and has one of my favorite movie quotes ever: “ When you ride like lightning then you crash like thunder.”






I really liked this album. It’s easy to listen to and it’s really interesting. Pusha has a good flow and a good rapping style. I would definitely recommend this album for people, who like hard rap. I’d give this album a 9/10. That’s it from me today, take it easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment