Sunday, December 22, 2013

James' Top 10 Albums Of 2013

Yoo, whats good? I finally have a moment to write this ish. So this is my Top 10 albums of 2013. Note that these are my favorite albums of 2013 and everyone has different favs. But if anything by Tyga is on your top 10 this year, then you need to rethink your life.


Top 10 Albums Of The Year

So I wanna give you guys a heads up that Yeezus and Magna Carta…Holy Grail aren’t on this list. Personal preference. Also I didn’t do mixtapes only albums.

10. Nothing Was the Same - Drake



I know, I know everyone is think “wtf” but this album actually goes harder than I thought it would and I really enjoyed it. I think it might be some of the best rapping that he has done in a long time. I think my favorite song off of this album is: “The Language”
I’m glad that I lost that bet to JT and had to review this album.

9. Hall Of Fame - Big Sean


I’m gonna write a review about this album sometime because I like it so much. Big Sean really matured on this and has perfected his flow. Although his flow sounds like he is rapping to a different beat sometimes, but that’s his thing. This album was a big step up from his first. There was so many good songs on this that I can’t even list the ones I like best because there are too many.

8. LONG.LIVE.A$AP by A$AP Rocky


This is his debut album and it is completely bonkers. Pretty much every song is insanely good. Rocky is one of the best rappers in the game right now and this is the reason for that. This album also one of the craziest songs of the year “1 Train” on it. It features Danny Brown, Action Bronson, Kendrick Lamar, Joey Bada$$, BIG K.R.I.T and Yelawolf. That is a redic list of rappers to feature on a single song. He also has that song with Skrillex on this album, but my favorite song off of this album has to be “Goldie”. That will always be the classic A$AP song for me.

7. Watching Movies With The Sound Off - Mac Miller


This album really impressed me, because Mac Miller showed huge growth on it. He’s not a little kid anymore and he really shows it on this album. Solid features on this album with the likes of Ab-Soul, Schoolboy Q and others. Pretty much all the songs on this album are hella good. The ones that stand out for me on this album are “Matches”, “Gees”, and “S.D.S.” I also thought it was really ballsy of him to drop this around the time that “Yeezus” dropped and I think that this album is way better than that.

6. Stay Trippy - Juicy J


I’m actually currently working on the review for this album since it won the poll. This was one of my most anticipated albums of 2013. I’m a big Juicy J fan and although he might not be the most lyrical gifted rapper, he still makes good ass songs. He makes music to party too and he succeeds at doing that. My favorite song off of this album has to be “Scholarship” or “Showout” Juicy J has been rapping for over 20 years, which is redic. Juicy J is seriously the most trippy rapper ever made and this album is his greatest work to date.

5. Beautiful Loser - KYLE


This album is great. It really, really grew on me after I reviewed it and I listen to him like everyday. He reminds me of a younger Gambino and since Gambino is my favorite rapper, it is only logical that I would like his music. Still, the young kid goes hard, especially since he is only 18 years old. If you have never listened to him before, I can only recommend you do so as soon as possible. 

4. My Name Is My Name - Pusha T


Wow. Just wow. This album is so redic good. It will also hold a special place in my heart, because it was the first album I wrote a review for. Pusha goes in on the whole album. The beats are perfect, but what do you expect from a member of Kanye’s label? Pusha T is a very lyrically skilled rapper and knows how to make crazy songs. Too many songs are good to really only name a couple that standout. 

3. Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels


My teacher told me to check these guys out and when I did I was pleasantly surprised. The production on this album is the best I have ever seen. They are also hyper technical and lyrical rappers rapping about injustice and all that good stuff. I did a review of their album so I don’t really know what else to say about it.

2. Old - Danny Brown


This was a masterpiece. The way that the album was split up between Side A and Side B was also ingenious. Danny really showed growth on Side A and then reverted back to the Danny Brown that most people know and love. What really makes this album great and that it makes you thoughtful on Side A and then when Side B comes on you just want to go rage and do crazy stuff. Danny is most def one of my favorite rappers ever.

1.Because The Internet - Childish Gambino



Everyone knew that this was coming. There should have been no doubt in your mind. The reason that this album is number 1 on my life though, isn’t just because Gambino is my favorite rapper. It’s because he showed a lot of growth on this album and I feel like if you are an avid Gambino fan, that you can feel/see the growth and that you’ve grown up with him. It’s also number 1 because he took the concept of a concept album to the next level. He released that short film “Clapping For All The Wrong Reasons” and wrote a 73 page screenplay to accompany the album. You will only understand the album if you actually take the time to read the whole screenplay while listening to the album. He also trolled the whole internet by leaking his own album, but making some changes on the leaked version. Gambino is a mastermind and I am very, very impressed by this album.

2 comments:

  1. You are not going to believe this; not one of my favorite albums made your cut. Now that is redic! ;)

    ReplyDelete