Sunday, January 26, 2014

10 Day - Chance The Rapper

Yoo, what’s gucci? I decided to review Chance the rapper’s first mixtape: “10 Day” today. I’ve been obsessed with this mixtape lately and decided I’m gonna do the full set of Chance the rapper mixtapes today.



10 Day - Chance The Rapper

Chance is one of the best rappers out there in my opinion. He has a unique voice and a very unique flow. 

14,400 Minutes

This first song tells the story about how Chance got suspended from school for 10 days due to getting caught smoking dope. It’s the whole reason that this mixtape was made, as I said in the top 10 list that I had this song in. What I find unbelievably funny is that he shouts out his P.E. teacher, by calling him a “bitch N*gga”. I don’t know why I find it so funny, but it just is. Chance also talks about how his school didn’t support him or try to encourage him to do better in school. In the line:

“…give me a minute, ohhhh I can’t be tardy,
My class already started, they told my mom I’m retarded.”

Instead of trying to understand him or anything like that, they just told his mom that he is special Ed or that something that is wrong with him. This whole song is basically a diss to his old school and how he is now blowing up. He also talks about that how he couldn’t graduate with everyone else due to his suspension and therefore had to go to summer school to graduate. That would suck.
The beat in this song is perfect. Everything about this song is sick.

Nostalgia 


The beat sounds reminds me of old times for some reason. It fits too, since this song is about Chance reminiscing on his childhood. It’s a really dope song, and everyone should be able to relate to it at least a little bit.
I also think it’s crazy that Chance is just 20 years old. He’s not even a month older than me, but he’s touring the nation and changing people’s lives, whereas I’m at college still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. 

Missing You

This is a song about his friend that got stabbed right in front of him. Then he talks about how violent Chigago is. I don’t really like this song, because although it is a deep song and all that, it just sounds weird to me. I do like the intro to the song though, because it’s taken from “Hip Hop” by Dead Prez, which is a super trill song.

Windows feat Alex Wiley & Akenya Seymour

This song gives me such good vibes even though Chance’s first verse is about how he had to spend a lot of summers in school and shit like that. I like this song a lot. I don’t know who Alex Wiley is, but he goes in on this song. 

Brain Cells


This song is redic. His wordplay is on point in this one. The beat is so laid back and his lyricism is too good. This is probably his most technical song and it’s one of my favorite ones. I’m really impressed by this song.

Long Time

This is my favorite song off of the mixtape. Hands down. The sample is great, it’s from some indie band. I had to look up who this “Gladys” is that he talks about in his first verse and it turns out that she is his great grandma. I think it’s an extremely deep first verse especially with the first lines:

“I wonder if Gladys smile when angels bring my name up,
or change language and subject change up.”

He wonders if she is proud of him when she hears of him in heaven or if she is disappointed/ashamed of him. 
Another line that I think is crazy is the line: 
“ But people don’t hear ghosts,
  So how they gon’ play me.”

He’s basically saying that he sees himself as a ghost.
I like the way that the song builds during the first verse and then it comes to the instrumental pause. It then resumes with it’s intensity and calms down a bit until it abruptly stop. 

22 Offs


This song is about he got caught arrested for smoking weed. I watched an interview about the incident and Chance says that the cop actually told Chance that he had followed him, but when they had a meeting about what happened the cop lied and said that he say them smoking from the parking lot. This is like the first song where Chance talks about killing people, so I found that interesting. 

U Got Me Fucked Up

This song is basically a big shout out to his crew the “Save Money”  crew. The beat is pretty solid and his flow is like always on point. It’s just a Chance the rapper song, nothing too special about this one.

Family feat Vic Mensa & Sulaiman


I really like the beat to this song. It sounds super good and Chance on the hook is great. He is the master of hooks, as seen on his feature off Gambino’s new album. 
Vic Mensa goes in on this song and he talks about how his family life was and how he sees his crew as his family. 
Chance just raps about what he needs to do to succeed and how he is blowing up. I really like the lines:

“ Good morning, good raps, good morrow, good luck.
  Tonight you could blow, tomorrow you suck.”

He’s saying that you wake up and write raps to release the next day and if you are lucky you will blow up, but even if you blowup, you can easily lose it all just as fast. Look at Lil Wayne for example, he used to be the number 1 and nowadays he sucks. I mean I love the old Lil Wayne and some of his new stuff, but his last mixtape is a damn joke.
Sulaiman is a rapper that I’ve never heard of in my life. But he sounds pretty good.

Juke Juke

This song wins for best song sampled. It samples some parts from “Big Poppa” by Bigge. But sadly besides that I don’t really like this song that much. I’m sorry but it just doesn’t appeal to me. 

Fuck You Tahm About


This is such a hype song. It’s basically a diss track to his old school and he talks about the suspension and not being to graduate on time. He goes in on this song. He also samples a Waka song, which is always trill. This song isn’t like the usual Chance, it’s a more aggressive, angry Chance and that’s dope.

Long Time II feat Nico Segl

This song is so dope, it’s a slowed down version of the first one with an added verse and Nico Segl on the trumpet. I like the first version better, but this version is really good too. He really goes in on the added verse though, it’s a fast and dope verse full of energy, but I think it doesn’t fit to the song. Because it’s a song about his great grandma and how he misses her not about him.

Prom Night

This song is dope. It’s a chill song and the first verse is at first again about how Chance got suspended from school and also about how everyone should enjoy their prom night.
It’s talking about how big of a night his prom night was for him, seeing as how he had a show the same night I would say it was quite eventful for him. I know in one line he says that he missed prom, but in an interview he says that he was late for it due to a show.

Hey Ma feat Lili K & Peter CottonTale


This is the outro for the album and it is a great ending for the album. It sounds so sick. Chance’s mixtapes both have great intros and outros. In this he’s talking about how his mom put up with all his stuff and how he is gonna support her. Great ending for this mixtape.



I really, really like this mixtape. I think it’s dope that Chance made something big out of his 10 day suspension. I would give this mixtape a 8/10.

1 comment:

  1. Hi , I have found one trap pack which is quite similar to Chance the Rapper's beats
    www.lucidsamples.com
    What do u think about it.

    ReplyDelete