Sunday, July 20, 2014

These Things Happen - G-Eazy Review

Yoo, what’s good? It’s been awhile I know. I’ve been dealing with motivational issues and just being plain busy. I’ll try to post more.




These Things Happen - G-Eazy

G-Eazy is a white rapper, who has a unique style. I don’t really have much to say about him, he’s good though. You should most def check out his mixtapes.

These Things Happen

This song has a really simple beat and then G-Eazy just comes in with solid bars. I really like this song as the first song on the album, because  it shows the themes of the album: partying, the come up and girls. These may seem like stereotypical rapper topics, but Eazy does it way better than most. 

Far Alone feat E-40 & Jay Ant


I like the original version of this song a lot, but this is the remixed version with E-40 and I have to say, he makes the song worse. G-Eazy’s second verse is really good though. 
This song is all about how people always told him that he wasn’t going to go far alone, meaning unsigned, but look where he is now. If you don’t do the bernie to this song when the beat drops than I honestly don’t know what’s wrong with you. 

I Mean It feat Remo


This song is what got me really stoked for the new album. This song is crazy. It’s a completely different type of G-Eazy. I really like everything about this song. The beat is trill and G-Eazy’s verses are very good. The music video is also very entertaining. G-Eazy has this confidence about him, that you could also describe as cockiness, but it isn’t a bad thing. 

Opportunity Cost

This is one of my favorite songs off the album. It has another smooth simple beat with a good flow. G-Eazy talks about the cost of his fame. It’s an interesting song where he talks about how he misses birthdays from his family and even missed his mom’s surgery. I really like the lines:

“Meanwhile I see some girls I used to know are getting wed and stuff,
Having kids with full salary jobs while I’m just getting drunk. “

I think most people my age can kind of relate to that, you are seeing people your age getting married and making all these major life choices and you are just not really doing anything like that yet. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, I’m just saying it’s the truth.
I really like the outro to this song, because it’s his mom leaving him a voicemail telling him how proud she is of him and you can hear it in her voice how proud she really is. 

Almost Famous


This is my favorite G-Eazy song. I think it’s my favorite because of the music video. The beat is dope though and the subject matter is good. He talks about how he’s almost famous and asks how long the fame lasts.

Lotta That feat A$AP Ferg & Danny Seth

I was really excited for this song, since I like A$AP Ferg. This is a very surprising song. It’s a completely different sound than G-Eazy than we are used to. I think this song is great. The beat is dope and all of the verses are insane. G-Eazy has such a cockiness about him. I wouldn’t even really call it cockiness, but a strong sense of confidence and I think that’s what makes him so good. 

Downtown feat John Michael Rouchell

This song really isn’t that bad, I just don’t like it that much. Something about it is just blah. The whole song sounds like it’s building up to something, but it never really comes. Boring song in my opinion.

Complete

This is like a love song, but it’s boring in my opinion. The thing about this album is that it starts out really strong, but then some of the later songs, such as this one just get kind of boring. They sound the same.

Let’s Get Lost feat Devon Baldwin

I like this song, because it kind of sounds different compared to the previous songs. It’s a completely different vibe. The hook is catchy and like I said, it’s just a hella upbeat song. 

Shoot Me Down feat Anthony Stewart

This song is about how he got betrayed by someone that he loves and then it just goes into how he’s making it and what not. At first I thought that even though he has a simple subject matter he could keep it interesting throughout the whole album, but this is the point where I am bored by it. 

Been On


I was talking pretty much straight trash on the last few songs, but I really like this song. It’s one of my favorite G-Eazy songs and I’m glad he didn’t put the remix version of this on, because this version is 100x better. It’s basically just a song in which he boasts about the girls he’s hooked up with and the stuff he’s doing and that you are just trying to catch up to him.

Remember You feat Black Bear

Ok, I have a real problem when rappers do this and just because I liked G-Eazy before this doesn’t mean that I’m not gonna talk about it. He goes from boasting about how many girls he gets and what not to making songs about how he misses his ex or whatever. You have to pick one or the other and if your whole persona is that you are this badass guy, who parties hard and gets with girls then you can’t go back to these type of songs. He even talks about how he falls in love in like every city he goes to and whatever. I feel like he’s just talking about lust or whatever, but thinks it’s love.
Regardless, I still like the way this song sounds. Acoustically it’s not a bad song, but lyric wise he needs to simmer down.

Tumblr Girls feat Christoph Andersson

This is a nice mellow song about girls on Tumblr I guess. If you don’t know what tumblr is, it’s basically a blog site that mostly white girls and guys use to repost pictures of celebs they think are hot or like, weed/alcohol pictures, or rant about how sad they are in life. I think it’s really weird that he made a song about Tumblr. Like he actually lost a lot of cool points for this song, yo. 

Just Believe

You know it wasn’t that great of an album when you get to the last song and you are excited that you are almost done listening to it. I’m honestly forcing myself to listen to this song, because I really don’t care about it that much. 
He’s talking about how his girl can do better than him, but she just needs to believe in him. I don’t understand this guy at all. One moment he’s all like “yea girls!” then the next moment “I miss you :’( “ Homie needs to make up his mind.
He then goes to talk about his come up, which in my opinion saves the song.

Verdict


This album is weird for me. I like some of the topics and then some of them are just like ummm ok. I like that he talks about his come up and feeling bad because he’s missing important family events due to being on tour. I don’t like how he talks about girls in one song and then the next about how he misses this one girl. Homie needs to decide between having multiple girls for a night or being together with that one, but that’s none of my business. I’m sad that he didn’t put “Gotta Go” on the album, because that was the first song he released that got me stoked for the album, but then he didn’t put it on.

Like I said earlier, if I listen to an album and I get bored a lot or am excited for it to end then I don’t really think it’s that great of an album. I would give this a 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment