Thursday, February 27, 2014

Permanent Midnight - Left Boy Review

Yooo, what’s up everyone? Hope everyone is keeping it 3hunna. Sorry this post is kinda late. I’m trying to get a new post up every 2 days, but sometimes I’m just too busy and sorry this one took so long to get put out, I was sitting on it for awhile.
Got a review of Left Boy’s first album “Permanent Midnight” for all of you. 




Permanent Midnight - Left Boy

I’ve talked a lot about Left Boy already, so I don’t really need to say much. He’s one of the most unique rappers out there and I was really, really excited for this album and rightfully so. 
This album was so hard to get, because it’s not available in the American iTunes.

Permanent Midnight

I didn’t know that Left Boy had a son. I just looked it up and his son has one of the most dope names ever if you can trust Wikipedia. His sons name is “Yves-Louis.”
The beat is ill, starts out calm and then when he starts rapping it starts to intensify. After the hook the beat, I wanna say drops for the second verse and gets crazy. 
I really like the line:

“ I know that you’re beautiful, I know that you’re hot.
  So you got a lot of problems that these other girls do not.”

It’s so true, pretty girls always comes with baggage. 
I also find the hook interesting, because he goes:

“Monday Night,
I’m tired as always. This girl’s alright,
Cause I don’t require knowledge for just one night.”

He’s saying that he doesn’t care if the girl is smart, because he’s tired and just wants a quick slam.
He ends the song with the words: “Permanent Midnight.” That’s also the title of the album. The way I see it, is that it’s always midnight for him because he always parties and all that. 

Time And Time Again

This song has a nice, fast, energetic beat. This song has that typical Left Boy feel to it.
During the first verse he’s hitting on a girl at a party and during the second verse he just talks about how excessive his life is. At the beginning of the second verse he talks about “burning purple bridges.” He’s talking about 500 Euro bills, they have a bridge on them and they are purple. He’s not actually burning the bills, but spending them.
I really, really like the line:

“You can be my girl for the rest of the night.
But I’m gonna be a stranger for the rest of your life.”

He then follows it by explaining to her that it’s just a party hookup. Nothing more.

Black Dress


Fun Fact: This was the first Left Boy song released in the states. The beat is super sick, but I don’t know it’s not one of his best songs in my opinion. It’s catchy and all that, and the beat is nice, but I don’t know. It lacks any really good lines in my opinion. It’s just about how he wants to sleep with the girl in the black dress.

Through


This song is super trill, not because of the lyrics, but because the beat is insane. It just makes you want to go out and rage. It’s 12:30 in the afternoon and I want to go out and party now. I bet this song would be super sick to hear in a club, it’s sick to listen to with big headphones. 
As far as content goes, it’s about how he sees his girl/interest leave school with some random dude, and then he gets jealous and murders one of them. Weird topic, but the beat makes up for it.

Marie

This song is obviously about Marie, the woman that gave birth to his child. She wants to get married and he just can’t settle down right now.
This song caught me off guard, because I’m not used to Left Boy getting all deep in songs and whatnot. For me this shows that he has growth and that’s always a good thing for an artist to have.
The guitar in this song is trill as well. 

Stoned

This song is off of one of his earlier mixtapes and I already did a review of it. You can check it out here

Star

This song is about how he is worried that he can’t make it in the industry and that the fame will change him. It sounds pretty good, it’s a simple song really, but his flow is on point in it.

Everything Flows


This is another one of the deeper songs, that don’t really sound like your typical Left Boy songs.  I love the guitar at the beginning and it’s a really dope song. It’s basically a love song. If I would have heard this song before I did the Valentine’s day special this song would have been really high up on that list. 
This is a mellow ass song, not at all what you expect from Left Boy. I’m not saying that it is bad or anything, it’s just surprising. I’m impressed by it.

10 Am

This is one of my favorite songs off of the album. The beat is so dank and it just gives me positive vibes. It doesn’t really sound like your stereotypical rap song and that’s what I like about Left Boy. I mean I love when rappers just spit crazy bars and all that, but I also like the creativity that Left Boy has. I really like the way that the second verse begins:

“Who’s that kid, looks like shit,
Like he got no sleep in a month in a little bit.” 

The way he says it just sounds so sick. I can also relate to this, because I go through periods of time where I don’t get much sleep and your appearance does suffer due to lack of sleep. I remember this winter when I was in Germany, I went to a club on thursday, got home and only slept for like 1-2 hours and went out that evening and every bouncer in the club carded me and asked me if I was ok, although I wasn’t drunk or anything. I just looked wrecked. 
Anyways back to the song, it’s a very good song and it serves kind of as a bridge between the emotional side of Left Boy and the party side of him.

That’s How Much

This song brings back the typical Left Boy sound and flow. He talks about how hard he’s working and about how much he loves his kid. He loves his kid so much that he wants his kid to have everything that he wants and he even goes as far as to say that he is gonna have Kanye and Jay-Z and their families at his sons next birthday party. That probably isn’t gonna happen, but that would be so sick if it did happen. I want Kanye and Jay-Z at my birthday party. Actually just Jay-Z. Kanye would hijack your birthday party and make it his.

Get It Right


This is my favorite Left Boy song. It’s also the first Left Boy song that I ever heard. Jon actually posted it on facebook and I liked it right away. This song has such a dope beat and is super catchy. It’s also a super hype song, that makes you want to dance and party. My favorite lines from this song are:

“I’mma be around, maybe not as often as you like,
But I think we vibe girl we should get it right.”

Shoutout to all the girls in Europe. I’ll be home soon. 
This song also reminds me of summer and makes me so excited for it. Summer vibes and positive vibes. 

Security Check


This song is funny for me, because it came out the day that I flew back to America in January and it’s about the security check at airports. I absolutely hated this song the first time I heard it, I don’t know why. Something about it was just off. Now I love this song. It’s a super dope song, with a good beat and Left Boy goes in on it. This is another dance song and it’s super catchy. I really like the energy throughout the whole song. 

Left Boy’s Coming


I think that it is so sick that he uses actual instruments for this song. This song is full of energy, but it’s more mellow than the previous. It’s a different kind of energy like he has a message to send. The message he is trying to send with this song is that “Left Boy’s Coming.” It’s a fitting message, because I do believe that he will blow up now. This is a great song and a great ending to the album.



This is a great, well structured album with hype songs that make you want to go party at the beginning and end with deeper, more emotional songs in the middle. It shows that Left Boy is a versatile artist and it also shows growth. The only drawback of the album for me is that 5 of the 14 songs were released prior to the album and one is actually off of a mixtape of his. That’s not that big of a drawback though.
I’m really impressed by this album and I would give it a 9/10.
Left Boy’s Coming. 



No comments:

Post a Comment