Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Revenge Of The Beast - The Kings Dead

Hey, I know I already released a review today, but I haven’t been keeping my post every 2 days schedule so I’m giving you guys another one. I also have some other stuff saved up since I worked on blog stuff for over 8 hours today.

*Update: Make that 11 hours.*


Revenge Of The Beast - The Kings Dead

I listened to these guys when they were still the Dean’s List. They changed their name after they took a 9 month break from music since Sonny got his jaw broken in Spain. It’s a big theme in this mixtape. He talks about eating thanksgiving through a straw later on the album.
The last song of this mixtape emotionally overwhelmed me and brought a tear to my eye when I first heard it. That’s because I was going through tough times and yea.
This is thoughtful rap. It’s not belligerent hype rap.
Another thing about Sonny is that he is a super religious person. He sees himself as a christian-muslim and he believes that Jesus wasn’t god, but was a prophet. This album is full of that message. He’s a very talented and entertaining rapper.

Beauty & The Beast (Intro)

This is a great intro to the album. It starts out with all the voices of doubt people have about them. From them just changing their name, the spelling of their group name to the fact that they changed their sound and much more. After the voices of doubt, Sonny’s alter ego ‘The Beast’ answers them. 
When the beat finally starts it gets full of energy. It’s a really good beat, as all of these beats are. 
He talks about money and his dreams in this and how he’s different from other rappers. He also talks about how his jaw was broken a little bit.
I really like the line:

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Revenge is for the beast inside.
The place you hide all your emotions of pride.”

Just something to think about. Don’t look for revenge. It’s not worth it.

My New Shit feat Alexus Lee

First of 3 songs where she is featured on. She has the voice of an angel. Shout out to her for melting my heart on this album. 
The beat is really dope, I feel like this song could have been the intro as well.
Sonny’s alter ego is seen again on this song.
The hook is talking about how the music he makes is the soundtrack to his life. That means that he puts his heart and soul into his music, as I think every artist should.
The beat breaks down towards the middle and sounds like beat boxing and then sonny completely destroys it.
’94


This beat is so ill. It’s sounds so dope. His flow on this is also so good. He can really rap well. 
He reminisces  back to 8th grade and looks at where he is now. He also references Biggie Smalls several times during this song and he does that quite a bit throughout the album. Everyone loves Biggie. 

The Reunion feat Sebastian Mikael

This was the first song that they released after being gone for 9 months. Therefore the hook fits very well.
He talks about how he carries his city (Boston) on his shoulders. He also talks about how the loss of his cousin greatly affected him. It’s also a central theme of this album is that loss and the sadness he got from it. 
He talks about how most rappers are just rapping for money and power, but he himself started rapping to get girls and now he is rapping because he is good at it and isn’t a coward.

The Chase

I adore this beat. It has such positive vibes.
He quit his job and dropped out of college to pursue his career as a rapper against his mom’s wishes. This whole song is about chasing your dreams and achieving them. 
I had to laugh at the line about Rihanna, because it seems that every not so well known rapper wants to hook  up with her. I bet every rapper does actually. But G-Eazy and Gambeezy have both written lines concerning Rihanna.

Proud Of Me feat OnCue

The beat is super trill, I don’t even really need to say that at this point anymore. 
The first lines are insane. He goes:

“Ive been an alcoholic drifting in my eulogy,
Trying to write about how my life used to be.
I’ve taken drugs, I’m not a fan of what they do to me.”

I think it’s crazy that he says that, because you don’t usually hear a rapper talk about this kind of stuff.
This song is about how he wants people to be proud of him. It’s like OnCue says on the chorus:
“ I hope that you’re proud of me.
  Tell me that you’re proud of me.”

I can relate to this, because I just want my family to be proud of me and I’m trying real hard to do that. I once asked my ex if she was proud of me, while we were dating and she told me that I hadn’t done anything in my life to be proud of. That was a deep slash. But anyways back to this song.
Sonny’s flow is on point in this song and the homie brings another Biggie reference.

Simple Times feat Alexus Lee


I assume that he is talking about Alexus Lee in the intro to this song. She really does have a beautiful voice. 
He talks about remembering the old and simple days. He also goes into french. He often does this as well and it sounds super dope. 
A line that really stood out to me is the line:

“ Are you scared of being in love with somebody you should end up with?”

That’s a good question, that everyone needs to answer for themselves. I have no answer for that and even if I did it wouldn’t be right for you.

At My Table

This is a nice little interlude. He talks about his problems and his life.  There are a couple lines that really stand out to me.

“ I’m fucking horrible at love, and frankly I’m scared as shit.”

I can relate to this so much. I think everyone kinda can.

“ One hit wonders, you probably call that shit the hype.
  You probably call that shit the hype.
  You probably bumpin’ all that trill shit.
  Thinking it’s the life.”

That’s a solid point, because there all people that listen to hype songs and think that that is all there is to life. I mean I bump Waka and all them too, but I only do it at times when I wanna rage. Life isn’t just all about raging.

BMW

This beat is bonkers. It’s so good. It builds up more and more and when it goes all out, Sonny absolutely destroys it. His flow and his speed are insane on this. I didn’t know that he could rap like this. I’m impressed by this. 
He also references his cousin and Rihanna again. 
I like how he says:

“They say don’t release this shit in June, Yeezy gon’ smash it.
We gon’ do it anyways, cause we just made a classic.”

He makes bold statements and I like that about him.

Good Rebels feat Moonflwr

Another great beat, I don’t even need to say that anymore, but I still will. I like the feel of this song and honestly I kind of zone out during it and start vibeing because it makes me feel happy. The hook is about how all kids need someone to look up too and that they are those people.
I also really like the lines:

“See Mendoza made the soundtrack,
And Sonny wrote the script.”

It fully explains the group. Mendoza makes the beats and Sonny raps or as the cool kids say nowadays he spits mad bars.

Shooting Stars feat Alexus Lee

Last song featuring Alexus Lee on this album. She did a perf job on these songs, so shoutout to her.
This is one of my favorite songs that they have ever mad. Mostly because of the following lines:

“ Your ass is fat, your man is wack.
  You need some Wu-Tang.”

Never forget the Wu!
He also throws in another Biggie reference. He’s dreaming of nicer things in life throughout the song. 
Half way through the song about the beat breaks down and Sonny absolutely destroys the beat.
During the hook she talks about being his shooting star and basically making his wishes/dreams come true. Meaning that he is special to her and that she will do anything she can to help him.

Over Dinner

It’s a simple beat on this song, but still super good.  Sonny spits mad bars on this song. He brings up a multitude of topics, ranging from money, cars, women to religion to his dreams. 
I really like this song, although it I don’t have that much to write about it.
He brings up religion and a big point of his made religion, which is that Jesus wasn’t a god, but a prophet.

Desire

Another trill beat. Yeezus, I’m saying that to every song. Mendoza is just too good at making beats. Sonny has a nice flow in this song and he also has a couple of french lines which are dope.
I like the line:

“The older you are, the farther you’ve come.”

This is so true. It applies to everyone. Great line.
He also talks about how Kanye always has a new fashion, Weezy always does drugs and girls always blast Drake. What he means with that is that no one is doing anything original anymore, besides them. I don’t fully agree with them completely, but it’s still a good point. A lot of rappers stick to the same scheme they have with their songs.

Into The Wild

This beat is as the previous ones super good. This is a highly spiritual song it seems to me. He talks about wanting to be free and about how he talks a break from everything and goes into the wild. 
He talks about burying his drugs in the forest, which I think is a symbol for him going to bury his addiction. He talks about cocaine in this song, so I think he had a coke problem. It’s an interesting song and a deep song for sure.

Not A Worry


This is like the ultimate good vibe song. It just makes you feel so much better about anything. The beat is amazing and upbeat and the general vibe you get from Sonny is just one of positivity. He also raps hella fast during his second verse. You should work hard and everything, just also take the time to take it easy. You don’t have to worry about everything. Life is good. Never Forget that.
In the end everything will be ok.

Kryptonite Sanity House feat Dani Ummel

This is the best song off of this whole album in my opinion. It’s super catchy and sounds appealing. Sonny really goes in on this song and you can really tell he’s putting his emotion into this song.
I like the line:

“ She don’t like me, but she think I’m getting famous.
  And the phone is still ringing while I’m sayin’ this.
  But I decline because a pretty girl is dangerous.”

He’s saying that this girl doesn’t like him at all, she’s just a gold digger and he knows this. So he’s ignoring her calls because he doesn’t want any distractions.
The outro of the song is taken from ‘Burn It All’ off of one of their mixtapes. It’s the part that made me tear up when I first heard it. I know lots of people are gonna think that, that is redic, but I don’t think it is. That mixtape helped me a lot during tough times in high school and this project came out during a time where I needed guidance and they again helped me. That’s why this group will always have a place in my heart and so will that mixtape and this album. Sorry about all the emotions guys. 




I thought that this is a truly great album. It’s not that well known because people don’t really like this kind of rap anymore and that’s sad. It’s smart rap, not stereotypical rap. This project also showed great growth from the group.
I’ll give this a 9/10.



No comments:

Post a Comment