Saturday, April 7, 2018

Newstalgia - Zay The Profit

I hope everyone is doing good. I'm trying to get back into a groove with my writing and whatnot. I hope I can keep it up.

Newstalgia - Zay The Profit




I don't really know all too much about this guy, the homie Gio showed him to me so I checked him out. I was actually in an xbox party with the two of them and he described this project as bringing a new flow into old beats, hence the name 'Newstalgia'. I probably did a crappy job of explaining it, but if you listen to this project you will understand what I mean. To keep it a stack, I'm not a big fan of the text on the album cover. It kind of throws it off for me, but y'all know I'm big on the way that an album cover looks. 


My Life ( Walk In The Day)

I think that this is a great start to the mixtape. I think it's safe to say that every beat on this mixtape is gonna be hella good since he's using classic beats. Nonetheless he flows effortlessly over the beat and keeps the same energy throughout the song. I like how he calls his fans 'elevated ones', I think that it's an interesting term for a group of people.
He has a part in the song where he says:

   "Same genes but these different clothes"

That's probably my favorite line in this song and I think it shows that he can actually rap. This may seem like a small thing, but most lesser known rappers don't spit bars like that. It's the little things.

T.I.M.E. (To Improve My Everything)

I really like this beat. I am very impressed by the fact that he not only rapped for pretty much 5 straight minutes, but he also made it not feel that long. When I was looking at the track time of this one I was nervous. Usually when there's a song over 3 or minutes it drags on or has some weird skit or a lot of downtime in it. This song doesn't really have it though. There's like a short hook thing, but it's not long at all. This guy can really rap.

Balcony Thoughts (PT. 1)

To keep it a stack, I've never heard this beat before but it's kinda crazy. It's most def an old beat. His flow is on point again. I have more to say about this, but it kind of goes hand in hand with the whole album, so I'm gonna save it for the end.

Freaky Zeke

This really sounds like an old school rap song it's crazy. Out of all the songs I think that this is the weakest, but it's not bad. It's just not really my style. That being said, I haven't skipped it even once or  anything like that. So that's saying something.

Not For The Radio

Zay is showing off his wordplay on this song and it's impressive. This is another song where I can't really say much about because it has to do with the mixtape as a whole. This is a very strong song though and it's another one of those that just flies by, so that's cool.

NYC

Gah damn this beat is amazing. I think that almost everyone knows this beat. He kills this beat, I watch a bunch of freestyle videos from the different radio shows and this reminds me of it. Then again this whole album kind of does.

Money And Violence (Feat Ace General)


His lyricism and flow are really on full display in this song. He pops off on this track, but Ace General, whoever that is, stole the show. He really came in with the heat on this song. I like how they both referenced each others rap names in a line. It was a nice touch.
At first I thought that this song had too much going on and was cluttered, but I think that actually adds to the song because it fits to the title of the song. I think that this is a great ending to the mixtape.

Verdict

I really enjoyed this project. The beats were great and he did a really good job rapping over them. I only really have one issue with this project and that is that you have to be in a certain mood to listen to it I think. Honestly I don't really think that's an issue, it just kind of annoys me that there are people like Lil Xan, who are getting all this attention, but here's someone that can actually rap and it's gonna be harder to break through because people just want to 'turn up' as of late.
This mixtape also has a skit, which is basically a big daddy kane interview, which i found very interesting.
All in all I think that this is a pretty good project and I would give it an 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment