Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Broken Ankles EP - Girl Talk & Freeway Review

Ayy, what’s up? I got a review of this crazy project that just dropped yesterday. It’s from Girl Talk & Freeway. When I first heard that they were making music together I was hella skeptical, but I was hella stoked after I heard the first single off of it, which was also number 1 on my real top ten of april yesterday.




Broken Ankles EP - Girl Talk & Freeway

I love Girl Talk, he is like the master of mash ups. His mashups are beyond perfect. If you haven’t heard them yet you should most def check them out. I don’t know too much about Freeway, but that’s ok.

Tolerated feat Waka Flocka Flame


Damn yo, this was the first song that they released together and it is insanely good. Girl Talk on the beat is redic. This man is a monster. This beat is so energetic and hypes you up. Freeway also goes in on the song. I really like the line:

“ In the whip with a pretty bitch, fat ass, two A cups. “

I just feel like rappers usually want girls with big boobies and fat butts, but not Freeway, he just cares about butts.
The real star on this song is the homie Waka. This might be my 2nd favorite verse that he’s ever laid down and I don’t know why. (The first is him in “Ballin’ Out”, check it out here.) This is the perfect song to set the tone of this EP.


Tell Me Yeah feat Young Chris

This is another dope beat, although not as wild as the last one. It’s still really good though. I’ve never heard of Young Chris, but he sounds hella good in this song. I really like the line:

“ Need to ask yourself a question,
  Is you workin’ or you wastin’ ? (Time) “

This is actually a line that I’m gonna take to heart more. Freeway’s flow is crazy good in this song. I’m really impressed. 

I Can Hear Sweat feat Jadakiss


Before I saw anything I want to touch on a big point in Girl Talk’s production and this whole EP. The end of every song transitions perfectly into the next song. The EP is meant to be listened to fully. He does that on all his projects and I think it’s the dopest thing ever. It makes it seem like one full song instead of 5 different ones. I know what you are thinking: “But James, if it all sounds like one song isn’t that bad? Won’t it get boring?” No dear reader, it doesn’t get boring. This is because they are indeed 5 different beats and distinctive songs, the flow just fits perfect. It’s like a DJ set you can listen to all the songs separately, or you can listening to how the song flow together. It’s an experience, a musical adventure if you want.
Now to this song, I really like this one a lot. I do not really have to talk about the beat, because every single beat on this EP is perf. There’s so many good producers out there nowadays, so you have no excuse for having a crappy beat.
This song goes hard. Both rappers go in on it again. It’s like everyone that’s featured on here was told to bring their A-Game or to not even be on this EP. I like how about 3 min in to this song the beat changes. 
I was gonna get mad about the ‘they love me like Pac now’ because at first I thought he was trying to say that he was as good as Pac, but he’s just saying that people like him a lot.

Suicide 

First song on the album without a feature and it is really good. The beat is perf like I said before and Freeway’s flow is seriously impressive on this song. This song really fits well to the theme EP. I’ll explain that whole point a bit later though.

Lived It

This is my favorite song off of EP. The beat is actually uplifting and gives me positive vibes. Freeway’s flow is redic. He has speed and is hella technical on this. I’m really impressed by this song.


Verdict

So this EP is crazy. It has Girl Talk’s incredible production mixed with Freeway’s trill rap skills. The whole EP follows this aggressive theme, as seen by the title and whatnot. I like that there is an increase of these producer/rapper duos coming out lately. I think they are doing a lot for Hip-Hop as a whole and bringing it back on track to where it should be. I’m not saying that we are ever gonna get back to that Golden Era, but we can reach a new one. 
I like how this EP isn’t too long. It’s only 5 songs which is not bad at all. It could even be a little bit longer.
This is a really fun EP to listen to and it actually brought some more joy into my day.

I would give this a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment