Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Kanan Tape - 50 Cent Review

Yo, what's poppin? Hope everyone is doing well. Got a review of one of my personal all time favorite rappers, 50 Cent, today. I heard that this mixtape came out, but since I didn't really like his last album all too much I wasn't really gonna peep this mixtape, but then a homie told me to peep one of the songs and it was really good. Long story short, I checked it out and thought it was worth the review.

The Kanan Tape - 50 Cent




I've always enjoyed 50, but his last album made me feel like he was trying to hard to be hip, especially with the music videos; but who knows? I honestly didn't look too deep into that last album. Let's see how this mixtape is.


N*gga (feat Lil Boosie and Young Buck)

Yikes. What a starting track. Needless to say, the N-word is said plenty of times during this song. What an intro to the entire mixtape. This song is actually redic. In my honest opinion they overdo it by a long shot in this song. The verses are fire, don't get me wrong but gahdamn that's a lot of N-words. I mean I enjoy the song, but there are over 40 uses of the word in the hook by itself, and it's repeated three total times during the song. that's over 120 uses just in the hooks. The song goes hard though. I think it's a great start to the mixtape because it gives it an extremely hard and street sound. The features are also on point.

Body Bags

Ayyyy, this the old 50? This song is actually great. It sounds just like the old 50. I feel like he returned to his roots and to what made him one of the greats. I really like this song.
(A quick side note to this song: the beat is actually from a Sean Price song. I learned of Sean Price from a good friend of mine, who also started this blog with me. Sean Price died last year. He was also one of the greats.)
I don't know if 50 chose to use this beat as a tribute to Sean Price or not, but I think it can be seen as one.


Too Rich




My man 50 actually making straight bangers out here. This song is all about how he isn't letting girls get in the way of him making money or anything. When I heard this song I thought about how Pusha T talked about all the vices that affect people and stop them from succeeding in M.P.A.
50 has a great flow on this track. He's effortlessly gliding over the beat. These past two songs have sounded like old 50 songs and I think that it's great.

Tryna Fuck Me Over (feat Post Malone)

Before I say anything to this song, a big shoutout to the homie Carmelo for showing me this banger. Like gahdamn, this song actually has been not only in my playlist for the past couple of weeks, but I also listen to it several times in a row. This is the song that put me on to this mixtape. If you know me in real life, you know I really enjoy that young Post Malone. My mans making moves, y'all just wait.
This song is actually pretty short, clocking in at only 2 minutes and 42 seconds, but it is great. 
The beat is really catchy and goes in. That bell sound you are hearing in the background? That's called a "Glockenspiel". It's a german instrument, that ya boi had to learn in german school. (Yea, I know my instruments, homie!) 
Anyways, this song is just too lit. not only does 50 go in on this song, but Post Malone has such a great verse. Not only is his flow completely ridicules, but he also spitting the truth. I throughly enjoy it when Post Malone is in a song, because his flow is actually quite interesting. He is actually featured in a Gucci Mane song, off of the project which I'm reviewing next. He's most def an artist to watch in 2016. 
This song is all about how their enemies are tryna to F them over and they aren't letting it happen. 
My favorite line in this song has to be:

"Spent my life tryna be a good guy,
  Still people want to see me get got."

I feel like a lot of people can relate to that.

I'm The Man (feat Sonny Digital)



This song has a spacey feel to it. It was actually released back in 2014, but it's still a banger. I really like the beat to this song. As I said before it has a spacey feel to it, kind of reminds me of a Kid Cudi beat. I like how this song is kind of a break between the energy that this mixtape has. 
50 has a great flow on this song. It's a slower flow, but I feel like he is being real with this song. 50 is all about his money, and I can certainly respect that. 

Burner On Me

50 is actually one of the only rappers where I can actually believe that he is an OG. I mean, he's been shot 9 times. He isn't a fraud. 50 really isn't messing around. This song is all about how it's a bad idea to try to run up on him. He isn't playing games. This song goes pretty hard, but if I had to pick a weak song off of this mixtape, this would be it. It's not bad, it's just not as good as the other ones.
Regardless of that, this song sounds like the old 50 Cent and I greatly enjoy that. The old 50 is the good 50. 

On Everything

This beat is tough. This is pretty much an old 50 song, a catchy hook with strong verses. 
I hate and love this song at the same time. (Old 50 fans will see what I did there) It has that old 50 vibe, but for some reason I feel like it's a weak ending to the mixtape. 

Verdict

I actually really liked this mixtape. I like the fact that it isn't too long and most of the songs are very good. The only songs I was iffy about were the last two songs and that's because I just couldn't bring myself to listen to them that many times. I feel like that is personal preference though. 
The highlight of this mixtape for me was definitely that song with Post Malone. That song goes so hard and is so catchy. This mixtape just proves that 50 still has it in him and can still kill the game. He also isn't scared to bring it back to the old times. The reason I like this mixtape a lot is because it actually sounds like the old 50. Not only does that bring back memories of when I was a youngin' but it also shows that some rap is timeless.
I'm gonna give this mixtape an 8.5/10 just because I don't really like the last two songs. 
Definitely listen to that song with Post Malone though, it's crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment