Sunday, April 24, 2016

Lil Uzi Vert Vs. The World

Yooo, what's poppin? I got a review of Lil Uzi Vert's new mixtape Lil Uzi Vs. The World for you guys today.

Lil Uzi Vert Vs. The World


I first heard of Lil Uzi Vert from my friend Melo. Lil Uzi is from Philly, and is taking the game by storm right now. His other project, Luv Is Rage, is straight fire, and I'm sure I'll review that project some day as well.
Before I start this review I need to show you guys what sparked my interest in Lil Uzi Vert.
Before you read this review any further, please watch this video.



This man snaps on this song. Also that Dragonball Z reference (AKA my childhood) is dope. I like how he references anime but it's a straight banger.


Canadian Goose

This is how you start a mixtape, this song has it all. An energetic trap beat mixed with a quick hard hitting trap flow. This song is all about how he has money and whatnot.This song had me geekin, because at one point he actually says:

"I just caught me a mewtwo,
 I Just caught me a mewtwo.
 Japanese girls stuck to me just like some glue."

Same Lil Uzi, same. This is one of the reasons I like Lil Uzi, he references stuff like Pokemon, Dragonball Z and Scott Pilgram vs the World ( AKA my childhood), and is still makin fire songs that go hard.

Hi Roller

Lil Uzi keeps the energy going with this song. It's another song about how he's got money and whatnot, but that's ok. Lil Uzi Vert isn't making this deep conscious rap, he's making the rap you listen to when you tryna get lit. That's a good way to describe this song actually. It's lit.
I really like how the hook starts:

" Wake up every day, know that I am blessed.
  Counting up my cake, getting all them checks."

All in all a good song. Not the deepest of course, but that's not that big of an issue honestly.

Money Longer

This song is a banger. It's actually one of my favorite songs off of the mixtape. This song goes so hard. Lil Uzi goes in on this song. Just the way he starts this song off:

" It do not matter,
  Turn to a savage, pocket got fatter, she call me daddy"

The verses in this song are kind of short, but that doesn't really matter all that much. This song is all about his haters and his money. I kinda enjoy that Lil Uzi is straight to the point in his songs. He's making party songs and he's making them well.

Grab The Wheel

This song is slower, but isn't too bad. It's interesting how he can have a slower song, but keep the same lyrics and still go in. This song has an interesting element to it though, he talks about he doesn't want to play around and heartbreak anymore. Interesting themes coming from this type of rapper. 
So far I feel like Lil Uzi is hard to put into one category. On one side he's this tough trap rapper and on then he has a sensitive side. I like how both are present on this song.

You Was Right

This song has my favorite intro ever. How you have both of Metro Boomin's intros on it. So lit. First they hit us with the "If Young Metro, don't trust you, I'm gonna shoot you" and then with the "Metro Boomin want some more, Nigga".

I really like the beat of this song and the way Lil Uzi flows on this song.

This song is all about how he hooked up with a groupie and is now fighting with his girl.

Baby Are You Home?

This song is alright, it's that one song on seemingly everything that I review where I just kind of zone out and vibe to. I've listened to this whole project a lot and this song is just kinda there. It's not bad by any means, I personally think this is the weakest song off of the mixtape.

P's & Q's

Lil Uzi is straight reckless. This song is literally just about how he stole his girlfriend from her ex. Like how you gonna make a song, that is actually a banger, with a great beat, great lines and great flow, just about how you stole someone's girl? Like you know that the ex is hearing this song and just silently crying while listening to old drake afterwards. Major yikes.
Like I said though, this is a very strong song and actually my favorite song off of the mixtape. 
I hope that someday I can be as reckless as Lil Uzi. 

Team Rocket

This song is first of all a reference to Pokemon, but also a reference to his relationship with him and his girl. He calls them team rocket, since they both share a love for anime. This song is all about his girl and how now that he has money the girls that didn't want anything to do with him are trying to get with him. But he's loyal and only has his eyes on his girl.
I really like the beat to this song and I like his flow.

Scott And Ramona

This song is a reference to Scott Pilgrim vs the World. He sees himself as Scott and his girl as Ramona. 
I think this a very fitting ending to the mixtape. It kind of has this spaced out feel to it, you can really vibe to it.
I really like the lines:

" What you told me, can't take that back.
  What I told you, can't take that back. "

That's true, there are certain things said to people that we can't take back and we can't forget that. Who said that Lil Uzi wasn't deep at times?

Verdict

This is a very strong mixtape. Although not really the deepest rapper, Lil Uzi manages to show surprising depth at times. I like how the album artwork shows his girl on his mind. Him hooking up with a fan in reference to "You Was Right", his haters in the background in reference to almost every song and a pissed off guy with a basketball mean mugging him in reference to "P's & Q's". There's also elongated money symbols in the background in reference to "Money Longer". That is a great example of good album artwork. I am very impressed by this mixtape and greatly enjoy Lil Uzi's music. I'm excited to see where he goes from this point on. I would rate this mixtape a 8.5/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment