Thursday, April 21, 2016

3001: A Laced Odyssey - Flatbush Zombies Review feat Gio

Hey, what's up? Hope everyone is doing well. I'm back at it again with another review. Not only do we have a funky fresh new review today, but we also got a special guest on it, the homie Gio. It's lit. This is his first review, so let's show him some love.
*Note* - I don't know why the formatting is off every time I try to change it, it doesn't work. I'm not about to rewrite this whole thing so it's gonna stay as it is. All apologies.

3001: A Laced Odyssey - Flatbush Zombies




First of all, that album cover is straight fire. There is a whole lot going on in it, but the more you look the more you see. 
I never really talked about the Flatbush Zombies on this blog I think, but I should have. I've been a long time fan and me and my friends have vibed to their music for a long time now.
The Zombies consist of three rappers. Meechy Darko, Zombie Juice, and Erick the Architect, who also makes their beats.
Before I start this review I just wanna say thanks to everyone, who supports the blog. Much love homies, you know who you are. Now let's get to this review.

The Odyssey

GThe way this song starts by introducing the Flatbush zombies originally had me thinking "now ok what is the theme to this album? is it a space vibe like logic had?" I was proven wrong once they actually started the song, for the first song it starts off strong. I wanna say the song feels like a hype track, not only does it feel that way on certain verses, but the Architect most defiantly did good on the production. Juice and Meech spit a good amount of bars, but I feel that although it started the album off good, it is one of the weaker songs on the album.

J: As one can already tell by the title of the album and the title of this song, this is an substance fueled adventure. I hope everyone is ready for this trip, because it's a good one. 
The song has a great build up, from the countdown at the beginning and the rocket blasting off to the voice announcing the beginning. 
This first song song kind of serves as an introduction to the group. Everyone one of them give a quick background of themselves. What impresses me is how lyrically on point they are while they do this. This is a very well made song and it makes it seem like you are starting a journey. The verses are all strong. 
Bounce



GHonestly once I heard the beat start my head started boppin. I like the beat. I ended watching the video after the song was done, but I won't get into that it's a review on the song not the video. My son JUICE SPIT but I shouldn't need to point that out. It should stand out on its own the zombies have a lyrical talent, that is shown on this song. The theme to this song is typical sex and drugs with a strong emphasis on drugs, but what would the Flatbush zombies be without talking about drugs? I like how they reference two of there hit songs (Thug Waffles and Palm Trees) in this song. It shows they don't forget what brought them up and let's not forget Meechy's final words: " Tag on your soul, everybody has a price. Acid, acid change your life."

J: This is the first song I heard off of this album, because it was the first singles released and all I can say to it is yikes. This is my second favorite song off of the album. 
The beat is exactly how Gio describes it, you can't help but to vibe to it. To me this is a big theme of the album, the fact that you can vibe to the entire album. 
I still can't over how hard all three of them go in this song, from the beginning of the song until the end there is a certain energy to the song and it ends very well with the last words, just like Gio said.

R.I.P.C.D.

G: This song is in my top 3 for this album. I told a friend of mine named Vic that this album was good and this was the song that he pointed out as what put him on. This song feels like it is about them trying to put out music but in today's society the CD is irrelevant. People only listen the top artists and the Zombies can be slept on. They talk about drugs taking them back in time where their music would be king in the days of CD. We have to talk about meechy's verse. Just the voice alone that he puts on should tell you he is about to say some truth and when he says: "Rubber on my dick. I don't want that Charlie sheen shit," I was thinking at the time that was my favorite thing said on the album, but after hearin the whole album it's not it is my second favorite but remember his voice his hypnotizing.

J: I agree with Gio here, this song is about how they are remembering the days of the CD about how that time is over. I understand what they mean in the hook, because my laptop has a boost in speed and whatnot, but no CD drive and that sucks. 
The beat of this song goes well with the spacey theme of the album and I have to again agree with Gio, Meechy snaps in this song.

A Spike Lee Joint

G: Hmmm, a spike lee joint when I hear that I think of a African American movie based on the struggle of living in poverty or I just think that it's good to be the shoes mike but let me not get sidetracked from the song. "DIRTY MONEY CLEAN MONEY CANT TELL THE DIFFERENCE." Why do they got to speak facts and only facts? It should be obvious that they are referencing money being drug affiliated but their whole music career is pretty much about drugs. I can't get enough of juice he spits bars like a jail cell and he knows it, that's why he states that. I definitely feel as he was the main person on this track, but I also feel like he is the main guy on any track that meechy don't use his notorious voice.

J: The Flatbush Zombies, back at it again with the spacey vibes. This song isn't bad in my opinion but besides the " dirty money, clean money..." line, it isn't all that in my opinion.

Fly Away

G: I like songs that start with pianos that's why I'm such a big fan of runaway, but I feel as this track was just thrown together. It pretty much states the same thing over and over again. I feel like they are trying to say once you cross the bridge into Brooklyn, it's nothin but evil that only you can get away from with being high but I'm not a fan of this track, I'm only into the beat.

J: I like how Gio talks about the Brooklyn Bridge, but I don't really agree with that. I think that this song is supposed to go deeper than just the Brooklyn Bridge. I think that it this is a song about how Meechy, feels like he doesn't feel like he belongs in this world and doesn't know what to do.

Ascension

G: Another track I'm not to fond about. At least i don't feel like it was rushed. I just am not a fan of the better than God theme personally. I like the Flatbush zombies and I like them even more being from Brooklyn myself and seeing them get past being local, but I think this track should have came later in their career when they are more famous and known. I would expect this concept from an artist like Kanye.

J: This beat is a banger. This is actually one of my favorite songs off of the album. I like these two solo songs by Meechy a lot. This song is super aggressive and full of energy. I feel like with these two songs Meechy is actually hitting a point where he is so high off drugs that he sees himself on a whole different plane of existence, but that's just me. Regardless, these past two solo songs have fitted perfectly with the whole theme of the album.

Smoke Break ( Interlude)

G: I feel like even though this is an interlude, it deserves recognition. I feel as if this is the perfect song to get high to and that should be the whole concept to this album. I mean their whole point is drugs. That's how they became a group and the vibe to it is just so calm.

J: See this is a good interlude. Not that bullshit Low Lights on Kanye's new album. This actually has them rapping and entertaining. I feel as if the album is kind of broken up into two parts and this interlude perfectly separates them. The first half is them on hard drugs and the songs from this point on are them just stoned.
Also, the bass in this song is absolutely insane. This song is all about their love for weed.

Trade Off

G: This song brought back my positive thoughts on the album. I feel like it is them talking about how they are finally making the cut, like all their hard work is paying off and they aren't living a bitter life. For example, they had an interview with ebro dardin and they said they tour more often than they have time to be home. They are out there putting the grind to become successful. Of course meech kills it when he brings the voice out, but I like how he led into by saying: " Two freaks one meech that's an even trade-off." And let's not sleep on what juice did on this song.

J: This is one of the best songs off of these album and honestly their most impressive song. Just the way this song is set up, with the Architect setting it up and then everyone else changing the song up and bringing their own personal flair to it. Juice actually snaps on this song. It's actually disgusting how hard he goes for no gahdamn reason. Meechy also goes in on this song. The way they change not only their voices but also the way the beat changes is ridicules. I also like how each of them modify the hook when they rap it.

Good Grief feat Diamante

G:Another song in my top 3. This is another song to get high to. I don't really have a reason to like this, but I do. The beat is calm and they are just mellow throughout the whole song. I like having albums where they can spazz on certain tracks and then can be calm on others you can't be hard all the time. I also feel as if this song explains how money isn't everything but it also is needed for everything.

J: On every album I review there seems to be a song that I just zone out while I listen to it and just vibe to it and this is that song. It's not a bad song by any means, it's just I don't know, it isn't as crazy as the other ones. I do like Juice's verse on this song though.

New Phone, Who Dis?

J: Gio forgot to review this song and that's a shame. This song is straight fire. This song is all about how they are now making it and coping with their new found fame.
The space vibe continues in this song. I really like that the beats are all spacey and fit that theme, it's a very consistent album.
All of them have very good verses, but I can't get over the fact that Meechy actually says:

" Only fuck her if she legal,
 I don't break the law like Tyga"

Now I don't know if you guys know about my hate for Tyga but he's a scum lord in my book so I greatly appreciate that diss at Tyga. I really like Meechy's verse though, not only because of that.

This Is It



G: THIS IS MY FAVORITE SONG!
This song made me like the whole album in its entirety. It speaks more facts then any other song and juice being my favorite has my favorite verse. We should actually just call him Mr.Fuck All Damn Day. I feel as in this song they want us to remember everyone who was there for us and the people who are unfortunate. Meech kills it. Im just gonna copy the verse because it speaks for it self.
"Feeling brave? Nigga run up Buck shots, Here muscle And I don’t need Joey to pump it Pitbull, no muzzle Badmon, I’m thuggin’ Dunno, gun smoke Can’t tell me nothin’, there’s no need for discussion I’m the sinner and saint, I'm the box logo bully Used to buy Bathing Ape, now they send this shit to me"
And my favorite line on the whole album is on this song and it is: "Will I die from a homicide or will I die from taking too much drugs?" This is my favorite because I say it all the damn time like it's stuck in my head. It ends the album really strong.
J: I agree with Gio, this song is the strongest song off of the album. The beat and the verses are absolutely perfect. Juice has my favorite verse on this song, but that's just because his flow is redic. Very catchy and very energetic. This song ends the real album and the last track is essentially a bonus track.

Your Favorite Rap Song

G: The actual end of the album. I was thinking why do you need a 13 minute song to end a album like chill fam but when I actually got to the end I realized why. I don't even care for the song it's good don't get me wrong but the main point for me is hearing the fans tell them what they mean and how much they love the Flatbush zombies and how they have grown out of New York and expanded world wide. The reason this is being pointed out is that a lot of New York rappers think about what the local fan base wants but if you have 10 fans local and 1 million somewhere else you would want to please the million fans over then 10 and this is their thoughts exactly. They said this to Ebro you can check for your self.

J: Like I said earlier this song is just an addition to the album that shows that they can rap when given no real topic or anything. I really enjoy this song. I think it is very well made and hearing all the fans at the end made me feel some type of way. You can hear how much the Zombies mean to their fans and I find that so interesting.
All of their verses on this song are lyrically on point and they flow so well together. I am very impressed with this song.

Verdict



G: My rate on this album is a solid 8/10
-Giovanni Alvey-Martinez

J: I really enjoyed this album. I really like the Flatbush Zombies and have been listening to them for a while. I see their growth and as a fan it makes me very happy when I see growth in artists. This album is very consistent with it's theme, which is a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey. I like how they reference that in the first song when they say they are influenced by Stanley Kubrick.
I would honestly give this album a 9/10. I feel like I was very passive during this review and not as engaged as I should have been and I want to apologize for that. I've been working a lot and have been drained because of that. 
I also want to give a a big shout out to Gio, for doing a good job on his first review and I can only see him getting better from this point onward. I'm sure he will be featured on the blog again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment