Tuesday, July 26, 2016

August 26 - Post Malone Review

Yooo, what's poppin? It's been a minute like always, but life is life, ya heard? Sometimes you stressed out and don't have time to focus on the important things. But here we are. Today we got a review of that young Post Malone mixtape. I've been meaning to review this for a while now.




August 26 - Post Malone

Post Malone came out with a couple of very strong tracks late 2015. First he came out with 'White Iverson' and then he came with other tracks such as 'Go Flex' and then he dropped this mixtape about two months ago. This mixtape is basically just here to hype up his first album, which is dropping big surprise, august 26. Now let's get to this review.

Never Understand feat Larry June

This song has the typical Post Malone feel to it, it's a song that you can vibe to. You can just play this song and vibe to it. This song is all about how when he wasn't blowing up, no one wanted to really mess with him, but now that he is blowing up every one wants to know him. He's just trying to do him and live his life. No one seems to understand that he's always been like this, he's not just putting on a show now that he has this new found fame.
The beat is very relaxing and is very well produced. The verse fits very well, even though he does repeat ' They will never understand ' almost too many times. The two rap verses are very laid back and keep the good vibe going throughout the entire song. This is a very good intro for a Post Malone project, because it pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the mixtape.

Money Made Me Do It feat 2 Chainz

This song has another very relaxed beat that calms you down. That mixed with the way he kinda sings on this, is a great combo. I like Post Malone because he is different than most other rappers. Most of Post Malone's music is this calming sort of music but he still has very good rap verses on them.
I really like the way that this song is extremely catchy. It's one of those songs that never really gets old and that you can always bump. Also the 2 Chainz verse on this song is pristine.
This song is all about how he's doing all this extra stuff because he now has money and can blow it.
Also RIP Bankroll Fresh, they shout him out several times in this song.

Git Wit U

The beat in this song is very energetic. I like the way it builds up at the beginning before it drops.
Post Malone's verse in this goes hard, homie low-key snaps. His flow is great, the way that he adds a twist on the last word of each line. I feel like the lines:

     " I'm the fuckin man,
       Jumpin out the Benz"

Perfectly describes Post Malone, because I feel like when he goes places he's just super lit and hops out the Benz off the Henny with a cig in his mouth ready to party. 
In all seriousness though, this song is all about how he wants to get with this girl and it's a very good song. 

God Damn feat 1st

This is honestly one of my favorite songs off of this mixtape. It's just such an anthem. He comes back with the hot beat buildup and his hook game is really strong as he demonstrates throughout this whole mixtape. This song is actually about a girl with a great butt, I mean the hook is asking her:

       "God damn, where the hell you get that from?
        Saucin' on them hoes cause that ass so dumb. "

My favorite line from this song has to be:

       " I just fucked my bitch, rockin' Stüssy, yeah"

Not because it's a particularly great line, but because Stüssy is my favorite brand.
Post Malone's verse is very good but 1st really steals the show with his verse. It is very good and has a great flow. It might be a slow verse, but that tempo switch in the middle is on point.

Fuck feat Jeremih

With a song title like this, you know that this song is either gonna be about fighting or sex, but since it features Jeremih, it's obviously about sex. This is a slower song and is one of those songs that you listen to with your girl. I usually don't like these types of songs that much, but this song has a certain vibe to it and the two verses on it greatly add to it. So while not my favorite song off of the mixtape and not my usual cup of tea, I still enjoy it.

40 Funk



This is actually my favorite song off of the album. My man's Post Malone keeping it OG with the OE. For those that don't know what it means, it means that he's keeping it real while drinking the Olde English brand 40 Ounces of Malt Liquor (Seen pictured above). This song is all about how he drank two 40s, popped some Molly and is on another level. He basically did Edward 40Hands. 
The beat in this song has the same Post Malone feel that the previous songs have and I'm not mad at it. The hook is already a banger, but his verses are full of quotable lines. 
Post Malone isn't afraid to ask the hard questions in this song, such as:

       " How I hold a girl with two 40s all in my hand?"

In all seriousness though, this is a great song. It's extremely catchy and has the perfect length. I can't really find a negative in this song.

Monta feat Lil Yachty

This is actually the first song I heard off of this mixtape. I really liked the way it soundd although I honestly had no idea what it was about. Turns out that this song is about feeling like a basketball player. Hence all the basketball references. 
This song has a great energy after the beat build up and the hook is very catchy. This song would be a banger live.
I really like Post Malone's verse, especially the way he switches up his tempo mid verse and the way that he flows. Although I really Post's verse I feel like Lil Yachty overshadows him. Lil Boat just everywhere nowadays, he's out here. 

Hollywood Dreams/ Come Down

This song is completely different than the previous songs. It doesn't sound like a normal Post Malone song at all and I actually really like it. It has this upbeat vibe to it until the second half of the song comes on and then the beat changes to a trap beat and it gets dark. I like the two different sides of this song though. This song has a really interesting dynamic to it. The first part is happy and upbeat like a dream and the second part is dark and menacing like he just woke up and is hungover or something. It's a great mix.
The verse in the second part goes so hard. He just goes in. I really like the lines:

     " They thought I was fuckin' done with Iverson,
       But I'm still ballin' on this bitches, let them know."

He's right. A lot of people thought that he was gonna be a one hit wonder with his breakout song, but then he kept releasing great songs and then he dropped this mixtape and pretty much proved everyone wrong.

Lonely... feat Jaden Smith & Teo


I'm gonna keep it a stack, I don't really like this song all that much. I mean it isn't bad and the features are good, but I don't know. Something about it is just boring in my opinion.
The subject matter is interesting, Post talks about how he's lonely and wants attention from this girl, but I don't know. I'm not the biggest fan honestly.

Oh God

This song is actually an amazing outro for the mixtape. It has a completely different vibe than the rest of the album, but sounds great. This song sounds like an old band from the 80s or 90s or so. I really like that he ends his mixtape like this, I find it very fitting.


Verdict

I honestly didn't really know what to expect when I heard that this mixtape came out. I mean I liked the few songs that Post Malone released prior to this mixtape and I really enjoyed him on that 50 Cent mixtape and also on that Gucci Mane mixtape, but I still was kinda iffy on him. This mixtape changed all of that. It is very well produced and the beats on it are perfect, although most of them have a similar vibe to them. Besides that song with Jaden Smith, that didn't really appeal to me for some reason, I greatly enjoyed all of the other songs on this mixtape. Post Malone is a great musician, who can go from singing to rapping easily and can also easily dive into other genres of music like it's nothing.
I give this mixtape a 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment