Tuesday, July 24, 2018

XXL Freshman List Cyphers

Hey, hope everyone is well. I'm gonna be talking about the XXL Freshman List Cyphers. I skipped last year because I just wasn't motivated but I'll talk about them now. I thought last years group was a little better, but the whole thing with this list is just the fact that it's all personal preference. These are hard to review because the rap types are different. You have hype rap and lyrical rap. So let's get to it. The ones from last year might not be in order but whatever.




2017

Kyle, A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie & Aminé

The funny thing about the cyphers is that rappers usually just use verses from songs, which kinda makes weird to listen to a year later. I used to be a Kyle fan, but lately I just feel like he's kinda corny. I'm not the biggest fan of his verse and I honestly could not say if he used a verse from a song or not. I haven't really been keeping up with his music. His flow kinda sucks at about the halfway mark, I get what he's trying to do, but it just feels odd. Part of me thinks it's really funny that he ended his verse with "gotta blast," but it's not good.
A Boogie wasn't too bad, the verse is solid and whatnot, but it's not really memorable. 
Aminé had a great last year and this verse is one of my favorite verses of the year. I remember when I first heard this cypher, I was impressed by it. 
All in all this was a pretty solid cypher. Not great but not terrible. I think that the highlight of this whole cypher is Aminé striking weird poses and making weird faces. I don't know if I should even really rate any of these because the cyphers usually aren't that great, but I'll just give everyone a rating out of 5.

Kyle: 2/5
A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie: 3/5
Aminé: 5/5






Playboi Carti, XXXTentacion, Ugly God & MadeInTyo

Alright, so hot take: Playboi Carti is not a good rapper. He makes party music and that's it. He literally does not finish some of his lines during his verse. He just kind of trails off and says "Ah".
This cypher made me realize how short MadeInTyo is and it made it really hard to focus on his verse but when I went back and listened to it again I noticed how trash it is. Jesus. It's not a good verse at all.
Ugly God comes in and it gets a bit better. He does repeat one of Playboi Carti's lines which is really annoying but it's alright. He switches his flow up and actually makes it fun to listen to instead of being super repetitive. Once the others start adlibbing it kind of reminds me of 2016's fun cypher which is nice.
XXX comes in and tries way too hard to be edgy. He does kinda snap, but all of it is just so edgy. The beat cutting off and him kneeling down. They released the outtakes from this cypher shoot after he died and the other verse he was doing was 100 times better. I don't know why they stuck with this one.

Playboi Carti: 1/5
MadeInTyo:1/5
Ugly God: 3/5
XXX: 3/5





PnB Rock, Kap G & Kamaiyah

I'm gonna keep it a stack, I've only listened to this one once because I had no interest in it at all.
PnB starts off rocky but he gets back into it and keeps it entertaining.
Kap G actually kinda snaps until the end, which is cool. I only really listened to that one Kap G song "Girlfriend" so I didn't know he could actually rap like this.
Kamaiyah's verse is just too long. She raps really well and is good but damn. She most def has the best verse out of this year, and it is impressive that she raps for like 3 min straight.
This might actually be the best cypher lyric-wise. The rappers actually had fleshed out verses and they were actually saying stuff instead of just talking about their riches for the whole verse. My only gripe with this one is that Kamaiyah raps for like a year and a half. That verse is way too long. Come on now.

PnB Rock: 3/5
Kap G: 4/5
Kamaiyah: 5/5






2018

J.I.D. & Ski Mask The Slump God


I really like this cypher. I think that they both really compliment each other and that they both kind of pop off. J.I.D. starts it off and his verse is kind of insane. I really enjoy the way that J.I.D. raps. 
Ski Mask comes in with no beat and he makes it work really well. It's not as corny or edgy as last years. This is def how you do it right. 

J.I.D.: 5/5
Ski Mask: 5/5





YBN Nahmir, Stefflon Don & Wifisfuneral

Ok so first of all, I really like this beat. It's a really interesting one. 
I didn't know that YBN Nahmir could rap like this. He really brought his A game to this and you can tell. This is a really tough verse. 
I'm a big fan of British rappers so I was really excited for Stefflon Don and she didn't disappoint. While her verse was kind of short I still enjoyed it.
Wifisfuneral also had a really good verse and he had a very captivating flow. I really like how he said:

    " If I die today then I'm the best that ever made it,"
      Nah man you can't do this shit, you get that pressure you gon' fade around."

That's a big corny statement to make but he immediately follows it by saying that you can't say that. I feel like usually new rappers like boasting and saying that they are the best and I'm glad that he keeps it humble.

YBN Nahmir: 5/5
Stefflon Don: 5/5
Wifisfuneral: 5/5





Lil Pump, BlocBoy JB & Smokepurpp

Alright, so this is pretty much the "fun" cypher. I have to say this was actually enjoyable to watch. You can tell that they are just having fun with it and I think that that is something people don't think about. Yea, Lil Pump isn't a lyrical rapper, but he's just having fun with it and I think that's kinda respectable. His verse also wasn't all that bad. It wasn't the best of course but it was one of his better verses.
BlocBoy's verse was pretty decent as well.
Smokepurpp's verse really stole the show in this one though. It was surprisingly good. 
I like how they made a song out of it, it's a cool touch. The ad-libs are on point too.
Out of the 3 cyphers this year, this is the most entertaining. The other ones were better lyric-wise but the entertainment value of this one beats them. I'm factoring that into my ratings for them on this one.

Lil Pump: 4/5
BlocBoy JB: 4/5
Smokepurpp: 5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment