Sunday, June 10, 2018

Daytona - Pusha T

Hey what's up? I hope that everyone is doing well like always. I feel like I'm slowly getting back into this whole review thing, which is kind of nice. Anyways I got a new review for y'all today and we are kinda keeping up with the G.O.O.D. music theme with a review of Pusha T's album Daytona. Hopefully this album will be better than that Kanye album (Spoiler alert: It is).

Before we even get into the review I want to state my position on the now dead Drake vs Pusha T beef. Pusha T won by far, Drake needed to respond but didn't. I don't like that Kanye called J.Prince and asked him to squash the beef, but it be your own people right Pusha? Nah but for real, I'm sad that it ended but I get it. Alright so now let's get to the review.






Daytona - Pusha T

I'm a big fan of Pusha T so I was very excited for this album. A fun fact about this blog is that it was made because a friend and me wanted to review Pusha's My Name Is My Name album. So Pusha pretty much inspired this whole blog thing, which is pretty cool. Another cool fact is that Pusha told me my review of his King Push - Darkest Before Dawn: The Prelude album was a strong review on twitter. That little gesture from him meant a lot to me and I think it's awesome that he acknowledged my review.
This album cover is wild. It's a picture of Whitney Houston's bathroom after she died and Kanye spent $85,000 for the rights to use this. It's a crazy picture and a lot of people were saying that it was exploitive and I understand that, but it fits a Pusha T album so well. It's a good embodiment of his music.
Anyways, let's get into this review.

If You Know You Know

This is a really cool way to start of the album. The minimalistic beat while he raps his first verse and then the drop at the chorus fits really well. The beat is amazing and the way that he raps over it is perfect. Pusha has this energy about him, he's energetic but also slightly intimidating and it gives his songs a certain something. This is a great way to start off the album and is a pretty good introduction to Pusha T if you didn't already know who he is.

The Games We Play

These beats really are crazy. Kanye produced this album and I got to say that I would rather have Kanye produce for the rest of his career instead of bringing out another album. No disrespect meant with that, he's just amazing at producing. 
Pusha T does a great job of painting a vivid picture of his lifestyle and I got to say, I believe him when he says these things. I like when he talks about making the bottle service race between the tables in the club, it's a pretty good image. 

Hard Piano feat Rick Ross

The title for this song is the perfect description for the beat in this song. I'm a sucker for piano's in rap songs and this beat is crazy.
Pusha's verse is pretty good and so is Rick Ross' which isn't that surprising. Ross' features are usually pretty good and Pusha wouldn't accept a bad verse for a feature. I feel like being on a Pusha album is kinda the same like being on a Kanye album, you gotta give it your all. 
The highlight for me on this song is the chorus. It really catches you and contrasts very well with the verses. They both have deep voices and sound menacing and the hook is upbeat and not menacing.
This song sounds like it belongs in some movie.

Come Back Baby

This song is all about how Pusha used to sell drugs and how much he profited off of it. It's a dark song with an ominous beat. But then the hook comes and completely changes the beat and makes it sound all happy and positive. It's this sudden switch that makes this song so great. Pusha's verses are lyrical and his wordplay is crazy. 
This song has my favorite lines off of this album on it:

    "N*gga wrist for wrist, let's have a glow off.
     Fuck it, brick for brick let's have a blow off."

I like how he remembers where he started and keeps it true to his roots.

Santeria

This is another song with a great beat, but this time is does something different. Instead of the beat being dark and ominous during his verse and upbeat for the chorus, they switched it around for the first verse. The beat evolves during the song and I think that's really cool. It makes the song very interesting and gives it a certain energy.

What Would Meek Do? feat Kanye West

I was very excited for this song, solely based on the title. Meek is finally free and everyone in rap is happy about that. I don't even need to talk about the beat because y'all already know it's gonna be on point. 
Pusha's verse is so strong, but then Kanye comes in with his little "scoopity boo" thing and while it is funny that he comes in like that, his verse really isn't all that. 
I like this song only because of the title and because of Pusha's verse. Kanye's verse is mediocre.

Infrared

Here's the song that started the beef with Drake. It was a simple line, but low-key a pretty clever one:

    "It was written like Nas but it came from Quinton"

There's another line later about him too. I don't think it needed a response from Drake but whatever, this isn't about that.
This is another song with an ominous beat and the way that Pusha raps over this is crazy. 


Verdict

So I think that this album is the strongest of the G.O.O.D. music album drops so far this year and currently it's #2 album of the year for me, right behind the Flatbush joint. The only reason for that is because of the length and how ominous the vibe is.
This is a dark album. It's menacing and ominous. Like I said earlier the cover fits perfectly to it.
This album is super lyrical and feels like it should be it's own movie. His ad-libs are so good, I don't even know how I would type out what sound he makes, but everyone who listens to Pusha knows what I'm talking about.
I'm happy that Pusha dropped another album and I throughly enjoyed this project. 
I would give this a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment