Sunday, December 15, 2013

Aim And Ignite - Fun. Review

Yo, whats good? I decided to write a review of an album that for once isn’t a rap album. I’m gonna review “Aim and Ignite” by Fun. This is back when they were a dope band. I decided to write this review so my Mom can finally read something from my blog, since I told her not to read anything else on it and because I enjoyed this album a lot when it came out.
I know this review is gonna make me sound like an angsty teenager or something, but I’m not. My last review was of Danny Brown’s “Old”, which is belligerent and ignorant (although it does have some deep songs on it). I guess I’m just gonna review “Traplord” or some Gucci next to even out the scales.




Aim and Ignite - Fun.

Now I don’t fully remember what I was feeling when I first heard these guys or anything like that, but I know that I really like this album a lot. I still listen to this album whenever I’m stressed or just need to chill. Lot’s of people are gonna say something like “Fun sucks” etc, but thats the new Fun. The old Fun is trill. They kinda remind me of Vampire Weekend.

Be Calm

This is a really strong start to the album. It’s one of my favorite songs off of this album. The singer sounds dope and so does the actual song part. His singing is on point. This song is actually really sad, because Nate is singing about how everything in life is too much for him and wrong and how he just keeps telling him self to “be calm”. I actually used to listen to this song when I was sad or stressed and it did calm me down.

Benson Hedges

This beginning of this song reminds me of like a gospel song mixed with Vampire Weekend. [This is the point where I returned to starting this review after like a month of not writing it. I’m kinda intoxicated] I like the melody of this song. It sounds epic. It makes me want to be like running or driving into the sunset. It’s a religious song, which doesn’t bother me for once.

All The Pretty Girls

This will forever be my favorite song by Fun. It’s happy and it fills me with happiness.
It’s actually a sad song, because he’s talking about how he is losing his girl because of all the “pretty girls on a saturday night.” I want to say I can relate to this, but I can’t. I’ve never lost someone due to other girls.

I Wanna Be The One

This song is about how the singer dated the sister of a bandmate. How much he loves her and how he’s sad that it’s over. It’s deep, especially if you know that fact. I think it’s awesome that he can write a song like that about her. I enjoy this song a lot and I think it is very good.

At Least I’m Not As Sad (As I Used To Be)

I love this song. I can relate to it a lot. Although I still am in contact with most of my friends from the olden days. I’ve just made some major changes in my life and I am way happier than I was before. I’m a happy camper and I enjoy this song. I really like the part where  the music stops and just the piano is playing and he sings. He’s talented, yo.

Light A Roman Candle With Me

This song reminds me of like the 1950s or so. It’s aight. I mean it’s not my favorite but it’s not the greatest. I can get through it without skipping it. It’s like a slow dance song at a christian school dance. Thats what it reminds me of.

Walking The Dog

[I resumed after two weeks.]
I’m digging the beginning of the song. It’s a “fun” song. (Haaa, corny jokes for days)
It’s actually a song about he and his girl broke up, which most of these songs are. I like how the song breaks down for the 3rd verse and becomes more mellow then builds up for the hook before getting more mellow again and then for one last time building up again. 

Barlights

This is a song about a night out with the band and how he was worried that his bandmate would leave even though they are just now becoming a solid band. It’s a good sounding song and one of the strongest ones off of the album.

The Gambler

This is their greatest song ever. If you don’t think so you are sadly wrong my friend. This is a song about his parents, which I find is awe-inspiring. I had to do some research on it, but you can tell by the line:

“So we moved to Arizona to save our only son”

Apparently he was struggling with pneumonia as a kid so they moved to a warmer place to save him. I just realized that this song is about his parents, but through his mother’s eyes. 
I used to think this was a love song to someone and I mean, yea in a way it is, but not in the way I thought. I’m not big on love songs, but this one always gets me. It makes me quiet and thoughtful.
I just hope that someday I can do something like this for my mom. I’m not talking about writing a song or anything, because I’m horrid at that, but maybe something else. 

Take Your Time

This is a song about how he forgives everyone and he feels better because of that. 
I have to say something really quick. So when I review something, I listen to the whole album at least once first. Then I go through and listen to the songs by themselves and try to listen for the lyrics and think about what the song is about. Then I go to rap genius and read the lyrics and some explanations for them and the song in general. This time the site had a perfect saying for this song. It said:

“Forgiveness sets you free.”

It’s so true and it is perfect for this song. 
The only thing I don’t like about this song is that it is like 7 minutes long.

Stitch Me Up

I don’t really like this song that much. It just doesn’t really appeal to me. It sounds kinda like a nursery rhyme to me. (The hook at least)

Walking The Dog II

This is basically a continuation to the first one of this. It’s just a slowed down version. It’s a great ending to the album. (I know it’s not the ending, but the next song is just an acoustic version of “Take your time”)



So yea, there is my review for “Aim and Ignite” by Fun. I don’t know why this has taken me so long to complete, but I finally have. I’ll give it a 8/10. Take it easy guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment