Monday, September 15, 2014

10 Summers - DJ Mustard Review

Yooo, what’s going on everyone? I know it’s been a minute but oh well. Today I have a review of a DJ’s album, whose name and catch phrase is so redic that I can’t even really take him seriously. Homie even looks like his name. His chain is even a bottle of Mustard!




10 Summers – DJ Mustard

So DJ Mustard is like the hottest producer out right now apparently (hot as in trendy, not actually physically attractive, homie looks like he literally eats jars of mustard for breakfast, lunch and dinner).  I wanted to review this, because he starts his songs with “Mustard on the beat, hoe” and it makes me laugh every time.

Low Low feat Nippy Hussle, Teecee, RJ

“Mustard on the beat, hoe”

Gets me every time. The beat goes hard though. I mean I expected the beat to be dope and I was really not let down. The verses are really good as well. A strong beginning to the album in my opinion. I’m excited for the rest of the album.

Ghetto Tales feat Jay 305, Teecee

Yooo, I didn’t expect DJ Mustard to make songs like this constantly. Another song with a great beat and great verses. It’s also a continuation of the last song and I like when artists do that.
The only thing that kind of bugs me about this is that they copy ‘Boyz-In-Da-Hood’ by Easy-E at the middle of the song, but whatever.

Throw Your Hood Up feat Dom Kennedy, Royce, RJ
This song gives a different vibe than the previous two, but still uses one of the background  instruments(I think it’s the bass?). Whatever it is, it’s been consistent on every song and adds a dope flow to the album. This song is so sick. Good vibes.

No Reason feat YG, Jeezy, Nipsey Hussle, RJ

Awww shieet, piano intro with a “Mustard on the beat, hoe” before it just starts going cray with the bass. I actually really like this song. Listen to it with some big headphones and you will understand. It’s a pretty catchy song.
I don’t know who the hell that RJ guy is, but his verse is hella good. This whole song is hella good. I’m actually surprised I like it this much.

Giuseppe feat 2 Chainz, Jeezy, Yo Gotti

This song just made me so happy because it has 2 Chainz saying random stuff during his verse like he usually does and because Jeezy completely destroys the song. Like I don’t often listen to Jeezy, but I’m gonna have to start listening to him now just because of this song.
I have to say; so far I am really enjoying this album.

Face Down feat Lil Wayne, Big Sean, YG, Boosie Badazz

This is the song that made me want to review this album. It’s weird because it’s one of those overly sexual songs and I usually dislike songs like this, but for some reason I just really like this song. I think it’s because Wayne actually goes in on this song and that actually makes me really excited for his next album. But back to this song. Not only does Wayne go in on this song, but so does everyone else. I think it’s actually a really good song.
The only thing that annoys me is that Lil Boosie has his name as Boosie Badazz on this, but whatever it literally does not add or take anything from the song. I’m just looking for something to dislike about this song I guess.

Down On Me feat Ty Dolla $ign, 2 Chainz

I really, really dislike Ty Dolla $ign. I think he belongs to the same group as Hopsin and Wiz Khalifa, AKA the fuck boys of rap.
The beat in this song isn’t bad and neither is 2 Chainz’ verse, but I’m just so annoyed with Ty Dolla $ign that I can’t deal with it. He literally ruins the song. This is like the first song on the album that I really don’t like at all.

Can’t Tell Me feat Iamsu! & Aka Frank

I like this song. I really like Iamsu! and his rap group HBK gang. I like their rap style. The beat is also hella good, it gives a good vibe and suits the rappers. I have to say, I’m really impressed by how hard everyone goes on this album.

4 Digits feat Fabolous, Eric Bellinger

I don’t like this song. It’s not my cup of tea. I skipped it after the first minute. I literally have nothing to say this song.

Deep feat Rick Ross, Wiz Khalifa, Tee Flii

So I wasn’t ready to listen to this song. I fully thought it was going to be straight garbage. Then the funniest thing happened when I got to this song on Spotify. Spotify played two long ads and then stopped working. It literally just stopped working and I had to restart it. But instead of taking that as an omen that Spotify was trying to save me, I foolishly decided to listen to it. I wish I would have listened to Spotify and hadn’t listened to it. The beat isn’t bad, but the verses are just straight trash. I mean Rick Ross’ verse is mediocre at best, but Wiz Khalifa’s isn’t even close to being alright. Like ugh I get so mad when I hear Wiz Khalifa nowadays. He used to be so good, before he became a weird creature that literally is obsessed with weed. I get that it’s stoner rap, but still. I’m honestly surprised that Wiz Khalifa doesn’t just take bong hits on his verses instead of actually rapping. He’s horrible. This song should have been cut from not only the album but also from life.

Verdict

Surprisingly I actually enjoyed the album up until Ty Dolla $ign made an appearance. I liked that it wasn’t that long of an album and that the beats were superb. DJ Mustard is a really talented producer. The only real negative was that it got kind of stale towards the end due to the poor choice of features (I’m looking at you guys Ty Dolla $ign, Wiz Khalifa). Everyone else was fine though. I just looked up other projects that DJ Mustard has released and he has one names “Ketchup” and I really can’t stop laughing. Just for that I like him even more.

Even though I enjoyed most of the album and whatnot, I’m still only going to give it a 7.5 due to Wizard Khalifa and Ty.

2 comments: