Monday, March 21, 2016

The Life Of Pablo - Kanye West Review

Ayyyy, what's gucci? It's time for that young yeezus album review. You guys all knew I had to review  this.

The Life Of Pablo - Kanye West





I'm sure you guys all know about the drama that was surrounding this album's release. For those that don't know, the album was supposed to be released one day, but then Kanye changed it and didn't release it until several days later. He also changed the album title several times before the album was released and added songs to it and whatnot. 
All of this doesn't matter though. 
If you want my honest opinion of all of this then I would have to say Kanye is 40% actually a genius and 60% lost in the sauce. It happens to the best of us. It is what is is. 
A big shout out to the young god, Eli for hooking me up with Tidal so I could review this album. Gah bless homie, much love.

*UPDATE* Kanye did the most Kanye thing possible and updated the album on Tidal, hence it took me so long to update this. He went and changed the album up on me.

Ultralight Beam



I was gonna put the artist featured, but the truth is on tidal it doesn't say who is featured on what song, so ya boi doesn't care too much, I just know that Chance the Rapper is featured on this song and that he probably has the hardest verse of the whole album. 
I also find it pretty interesting that this song is super religious. Kanye tweeted that this album is actually a gospel album, and the although this song is the only song that is gospel sounding, it's also one of the strongest songs off of the album. I didn't see Kanye as being religious, but oh well.
I'm gonna be honest, I listen to this song as soon as I wake up everyday, because it fills me with such hope for the day. 
I like the way that he uses a church choir for this song. This is definitely an emotional song and it adds to it.
I want to highlight some of Chance's lines, because they are actually great. The first one is:

"I made Sunday Candy, I'm never goin' to hell.
  I met Kanye West, I'm never goin' to fail." 

and the second and my personal favorite is:

" My daughter just like Sia, you can't see her."

If you don't know who Sia is, she is an artist that has hidden her identity. No one knows what she looks like. No one knows what Chance's daughter looks like either.
This is hands down the strongest Chance verse I have ever heard.
I think that this is a great intro for the album, because it is energetic and transitions nicely into the next song.

Father Stretch My Hands, Part 1

This song is super short, but I really enjoy it. The intro just flows so well, it goes from Future saying Metro Boomin's intro to Kid Cudi singing the hook. It's such an epic combo, everyone should experience it at least once. This song has such an energetic intro it's crazy. 
Lyric-wise this song barely makes any sense. The most I could get out of it was that Kanye wants to wake up next to his love.
The main things that shine throughout this song are first of all the intro/beat and second of all Kanye's first four lines:

" Now if I fuck this model,
  And she just bleached her asshole,
  And I get bleach on my T-shirt,
  I'mma feel like an asshole."

Not deep lyrics by any means, but Kanye is straight reckless with those lines and I greatly appreciate that.

Father Stretch My Hands, Part 2

This song has a trap sounding beat to it. It's actually sampled from Desiigner and no that isn't a spelling mistake. Desiigner is the newest addition to Pusha T's/Kanye's label. Kanye basically raps over the beat and uses the hook.
He raps about being busy with work and not being able to call his wife and how that reminds him of his father.
This is one of the most trap songs off of this album, and one of my personal favorites. This is such a hype little song. 

Famous

Before I talk about the content of this song, I wanna talk about this beat. This beat is very hype. It's a beat that makes you want to go out and do things.
Kanye has a thing for great intro lines to songs.
In this song he talks about how he thinks that him and T-Swizzle might still have sex because in his eyes he made her famous. I don't necessarily agree with that statement, but it is what it is. She clapped back at him during her award speech so she got him back.
This song is all about the fame and how he's tryna escape it.
Kanye snaps on this song, as he has been during the whole album so far.


Feedback

This is another song that is super hype. I actually play this song every morning before I go to work. Gotta get my mind right for the day.
This song is all about getting that money and being successful. This song is hands down one of the strongest songs off of the album.
There is one negative thing I have to say about this song though. There is one line in it, where he goes:

" I know, I know, I shouldn't even bother
  With all these gossiping, no-pussy-getting bloggers."

Hey man, I take offense to that statement.
Regardless of that I think that this is a very strong song and that the ending to the song is pretty funny.

Highlights

I'm not really a huge fan of Young Thug, but he fits really well in this song. He also disappears from the song after the first verse so it's all good. Kanye's verse on this song is actually very strong. Yeezy snappin on this album. I guess he's making up for his last album not being that strong. I love the ending of this song, it's the perfect ending to this song.

Freestyle 4

This song is extremely short, but it isn't really bad. Kanye kind of goes in on it. The reason I like this song is because Tyler the Creator sampled this song and completely destroyed it. I know this is Kanye's album, but I'm going to put the Tyler version here, because everyone needs to hear that at least once in their lives.





I Love Kanye


This is a little freestyle Kanye did as a reference to all the memes saying that he loves himself. The video above is from SNL and he actually does the freestyle as part of a rap battle in it.

Waves

According to Chance the Rapper and Kanye, this song is the reason why the album release was delayed. Originally the song was taken off of the album, but then Chance fought for it to be put back on and Kanye agreed. 
I like this song, it has an angelic sound to it. I'm very glad that Chance fought for it and that it was put back on the album.

FML

This song is great. I really like the beat of the song, and the way it is set up.
The first verse has this slow sound to it, with barely any beat to it. It's just Kanye straight slow rapping, almost just talking and then after the Weekends hook, the beat turns up and Kanye raps a faster verse. It's a nice little set up, where the song comes more and more alive the longer it goes on.

Real Friends

I really like this song. It has a nice simple beat and it's pretty much Kanye just rapping straight up. Kanye gets deep in this one and talks about the struggles he has in his life regarding his family and his friends. It's a good introspective song and a side of Kanye that is nice to see.

Wolves

I have a lot to say about this song. First of all, this was one of the first songs that Kanye previewed off of this album and it was performed live on SNL. It featured Sia and Vic Mensa. Secondly when Kanye originally dropped the album, this song brought Frank Ocean back from the dead, but he had removed Sia and Vic. Yea, the Frank Ocean, who dropped a fire album, promised us another one and then just disappeared. So needless to say when I heard Frank on this song I lost my mind I was so hype. But then when he updated the album he put the Sia and Vic Mensa version back on and made Frank's verse an extra little song.
This is my favorite song off of the whole album and I'm not mad that he put Sia and Vic back on it or that he made Frank's verse it's own song. This is the perfect song, everything fits perfectly. Everyone has a very strong verse and the beat is perfect. It's a very emotional song. You can tell that everyone that is on this song poured a lot of emotion into it.
This is hands down my favorite song off of the whole entire album. 

30 Hours

Kanye talks about a past relationship and about how he became a rapper in this song. This song has a nice little beat to it, but I don't really like this song that much. The reason I don't really like this song is that he has Andre 3000 on it, but doesn't have him rap a verse or anything so it's just like yikes. The song is also 5 min long but only actually has rapping for about 2 minutes. I'm not a fan.

No More Parties In LA

Kendrick is featured on this song and it is absolutely insane. Kanye and Kendrick have such a good flow together. Kendrick's verse is out of this world and then Kanye also snaps on this song. This song is technically the strongest song off of this album. I like songs where the rappers just go in and this is one of those songs.
When Kanye originally shared the track list for the album, he had taken this song off but he added this song back on before he originally dropped the album. Great call Kanye, props to you.

Facts (Charlie Heat Version)

This song is very hype and is another song that Kanye released before the album dropped.
This song is all about how Adidas is better than Nike. I personally see it as just a big diss to Nike and I'm down with that, because Adidas is my favorite brand.
For everyone that doesn't know, Kanye has a shoe line with Adidas, his Yeezy Boost series and those shoes are absolute fire. 
Kanye also snaps on this song again, so that's awesome.

Fade

This song has a crazy drum beat to it. You can't not bump your head to this song. This is pretty much just one of those songs that you vibe to, you don't really pay that much attention to the lyrics. I really like this song because Post Malone is on it. Post Malone has been killin the game lately and really needs to drop his own album. 
I think that this is a great ending to the album.

Verdict

I really enjoyed this album. I think it is a very well structured and produced album. I mean what else do you expect from Kanye? The features are also all on point. This album is very energetic and aside from one or two songs, I enjoyed all of them.
The only real negative I have about this album is the whole drama of him not releasing it when he said that he would and then changing it a couple of weeks after he dropped it, but that's just Kanye for you. 
I know a lot of people say that they don't like Kanye as a person or his wife and therefore don't listen to his music and whatnot, but honestly this is an album that deserves to be listened to at least once.
I'm giving this album a 9/10.

1 comment:

  1. I suggest you look at this review, cause your review falls short of the actual awesomeness that is "The Life of Pablo": http://genius.com/Kanye-west-the-life-of-pablo-album-art-tracklist-lyrics
    (This website also gives all of the featured artists)

    It's funny cause if you just google "Sia," her face fills up the entire page.
    Not only that, but "Utralight Beam" has soooooo many truthful lyrics that are sooooo deep.

    I'm appalled that you didn't understand "Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1" cause it actually has a deeper meaning. It's literally the big theme of the whole album, really--Kanye's Christian enlightenment.

    You did okay with Part 2.

    What you said about "Famous" is okay, but I think that the T-swizzle comment was more of his way of saying that he was putting up a badass front and he's trying to break that down because he doesn't want THAT to be his only reason for being famous.

    I think that "Feedback" wasn't talking about his success and his fortune in a positive light. I think he's saying that his materialistic mindset is going to get him killed. But, the outro shows that he can't help flaunting it.

    You skipped "Low Lights" which is really depressing considering it's out a shout-out to all the mommas in the world.

    I'm gonna skip the rest cause i'm too lazy, but basically....you know...step up your game.

    Last thing: Did you know that his original concept of the album was supposed to be more of a timeline? It was supposed to start with him starting from the bottom, rising to fame, getting addicted to drugs and fighting depression, then finding God, and finally being successful and happy. I thought that was important to mention.

    k peace.

    ReplyDelete