Monday, June 5, 2017

No, My Name is Jeffery - Young Thug Review feat Joie

Hey, what’s going on? Today I have a review of Young Thug’s mixtape; “No, My Name Is Jeffery”. I have a partner accompanying me on this review right now and that partner is Joie. She’s an enormous fan of this mixtape, so I feel like she would have an interesting and deep insight on this mixtape.
(No I didn’t spell “Jeffery” wrong, that’s how he spelled it.)

No, My Name is Jeffery - Young Thug




JP: I think that Young Thug is a very interesting character. The first time I ever really heard of Young Thug, by his name, was during his beef with Lil Wayne. After Lil Wayne’s “Carter 6” got pushed back into oblivion, Young Thug decided to name his album the same exact thing, to diss Lil Wayne. A legal battle was about to ensue, so Thugger named his album “The Barter 6”. I thought that it was kind of ridiculous. Some of his songs off of that album aren’t bad though.
The artwork for this project is interesting to say in the least. The dress threw me off at first. I remember when this mixtape first came out the homies and me were talking about whether or not we should even listen to it due to the dress. Here’s the thing though, he might be wearing a dress, but he’s also a fashion mentor, who went onstage during a runway show and fixed a model’s outfit while smoking a blunt. He obviously knows a thing or two about fashion. I think that this is a very interesting album with an even more interesting concept. Every song on the album is named after one of his idols. It’s an interesting idea, but more on that later.

JS: I like the concept of this mixtape. The cover of the mixtape is breaking barriers, which is nothing new for Jeffery, but I think it’s rad that he is wearing a dress on the cover. Jeffery gives absolutely zero shits about what people think of him and this whole mixtape just proves that. I like that Jeffery keeps his sound throughout the mixtape, but adds a twist that is specific to the sound of the ‘Idol’ he is referencing in each of his songs on the album. This mixtape stands out the most to me from his other works.

Wyclef Jean



JP: I really like the way that this song starts. It has a very interesting beat. The electric guitar and bassline really adds a whole lot to this song. I think it’s really cool when rappers use instruments such as guitars and basses in their songs. It’s not as cool as you know, a piano, but that’s just personal opinion.
I actually really enjoy the way that Thugger sounds. I used to hate it and think that it was garbage, but now I quite enjoy it. When people talk about mumble rap, they are mostly talking about the likes of Thugger, Future, Desiigner, etc. Out of those three I think that Thugger is the most understandable, especially on this project. For everyone that hates on these types of rappers, you really need to simmer. Life’s not all that deep. You just need to vibe out sometimes and not just have hella deep raps. To keep it a stack, I would much rather listen to this mixtape than any of J. Cole’s albums. Thugger is interesting and keeps it fresh.
The music to this song is actually very interesting and you can peep it above. I think that it was all planned to be the way it is, but if it wasn’t then I am very surprised. Not really because I couldn’t see Thugger pulling some shit like that, but because I feel like he is that creative. It’s still one of the best music videos of the year so far.
All that being said, I think that this is a very strong intro to the album.

JS: This song is such a good start to this mixtape. Right out of the gates, this song presents reggae beats to recognize Jeff’s first idol, Haitian rapper, Wyclef Jean’s influence. The music video for this song is golden and adds another element to this song, I think that he just reminds everyone that nothing actually matters, not even money.  


Floyd Mayweather feat Travis Scott, Gucci Mane & Gunna

JP: This is a very interesting song. The beat has a pretty interesting build up at the beginning. I like the way that the piano comes in at the beginning and Thugger starts rapping over it. I’m a sucker for pianos in beats during rap songs. It just gives a beat a special something.
I really like the synergy that all these rappers have with each other. They flow together very well and provide support for each other in shape of adlibs.
I really, really enjoy Gucci’s verse in this song. I think that out of all of the featured rappers on this project, Gucci is the strongest. Gucci Mane is the winner of 2016 in my honest opinion. I wasn’t the biggest fan of Gucci’s music,I mean I really enjoyed his East Atlanta Santa mixtapes, but that’s about it.I was a huge fan of Gucci’s persona though. I was really excited when I heard that he was being released from prison. I don’t think there is really any other artist, who is working as hard as Gucci has been recently. Not only is he releasing an outrageous amount of music, but there are so many great songs that he has been releasing.
This is one of my favorite songs off of this project. It’s interesting and has a high replayability.

JS: I’m surprised that I still like this song because I have listened to it so many times. Gucci Mane’s verse is  so bumping. There is so much variety in this song that it just doesn’t get boring. This song absolutely stands out on this mixtape.

Swizz Beatz

JP: I’m not mad at this song. I think that although the verses are not bad at all, the hook is just hella annoying. I know how songs work and that the hook/chorus should be the same, but there is no need for it to be this repetitive.
This song even has an interesting beat, but the hook is just too annoying.He says love 30 times per hook and the hook is repeated three times so he is saying love 90 times in a little over 3 minutes. Like come on my guy.

JS: I don’t like this song very much. I find it boring and while it has the signature thugger sound, it is just not a song that I gravitate to.

Future Swag

JP: I really dislike this song a lot. There are several things wrong with it.
First of all, the title of this song doesn’t mean that Future is one of his idols, but that Future’s style is his idol, which is understandable, since they both can be considered mumble rappers.
Secondly, this song sounds just like a Future song, which really bugs me. I’m not the biggest Future fan so obviously this song does not really appeal to me.
Thirdly, I did some research and apparently Thugger is very interested in Ciara, who has a child with Future. During this song he talks someone’s baby mama, which I can only assume he’s talking about Ciara, which makes this song really weird.

JS: I don’t like this song. The repetition bores me and I am not a fan of the lyrics.

RiRi

JP:I like this song. It has an interesting beat and I like his flow during his verses. My only issue with this song is the fact that Thugger sounds like a sea lion when he says “earn it” during the hook. It’s not really a bad thing, it kind of adds to the song.

JS: The way he says “earn it” grabs my attention. This song is weird and it is Jeffery. I hated it the first time I heard it, but it grew on me.


Guwop feat. Quavo, Offset and Young Scooter




JP: This is such a great song. The name of this song is a nickname for Gucci Mane. I think that this really fits, because it’s such a strong song.
The beat has a strong build up and has a very interesting vibe to it.
I think that this is Thugger’s strongest and most interesting verse on the mixtape. The way he flows is sensational. This verse is by no means deep, it just is very pleasing to the ear, ya dig? Also that “big booty” line is quite the line.
I’ve never really care about Young Scooter, but he fits very well on this song and adds to the song, which is pleasing. I like his line about being called Jay-Z because he has the blueprint. That’s a good play on words, since Jay-Z has three albums named The Blueprint 1, 2, and 3, respectively.
I’m really happy that Quavo and Offset are on this song. For those who don’t know, they make up ⅔ of the rap group Migos. They have been killing it lately and features like this is why they are doing so. Migos have their own unique style, where while one of them raps, the other members add adlibs after almost every line. I used to be skeptical of adlibs, but in Migos’ case they really work, since it that combined with their flow make them very interesting to listen to.


JS: “That big booty bounce on that dick and it broke.” This lyric just rolls off the tongue so well and is probably one of my favorite lyrics ever made. A real good combination of artists also. This song just doesn't get old.

Harambe

JP: I’m so mad that he named this song after Harambe. That whole Harambe meme lasted a lot longer than it should have to be honest. That being said, this song isn’t bad at all. I actually think that it’s a good song, I’m just annoyed by the name.
It has a very energetic beat to it. That combined with an interesting flow and it’s not really a surprise that I think that this is a good song.

JS: This song is funny to me, and it really does impress me. Leave it to Jeffery to make a song after a meme. I respect this, it is true art. This song is aggressive, just they thought Harambe was.




Webbie feat. Duke


JP: This is another song with a very interesting beat. It’s a simple beat but it adds a lot to the song.
I think that this is another pretty good song. Thugger has some interesting verses and an interesting flow, but Duke really steals the show here. I don’t really know who he is, but his flow and delivery on this song really caught me off guard. I found it very impressive.

JS: Young Thug and Duke back together again and of course this song is very good.

Kanye West feat. Wyclef Jean

JP: This is my favorite song off of this mixtape.
The beat is absolutely sensational. I really like it a lot.
Thugger and Wyclef’s verses are very strong and interesting. This is the second song off of the mixtape, on which Thugger features an artist that has a different song on the mixtape named after them.
I think that the main reason that this song is my favorite off of this project is because of how different it sounds and how it draws you in.

JS: I really like how they say Jeffery in the background throughout this whole song. It is so bizarre, but I really like the way that it sounds. The beat is like none other, I get a bit of african vibes also, which is rad and different.

Pick Up The Phone feat. Quavo

JP: I like this song. I just am really confused at whose song it actually is. It’s also on Travis Scott’s album, and I always thought it was his.
Regardless, I still don’t really think that this song fits with the rest of the album and I kind of feel like it was just added to it to add some more marketably to the mixtape, but what do I know? It just feels really out of place since the title doesn’t match the theme of the album at all.

JS: I liked this song at first, but the more I listened to it my dislike for it grew. The placement of this song does not fit in with the rest of the mixtape.


Verdict

JP: I really enjoyed this mixtape, although it didn’t blow me away. Its definitely an interesting concept for an album and I think that the artist, who have songs named after them, appreciate that fact. That being said, while most of the songs are very strong with interesting beats and fun verses; the fact that some of them are hella annoying and repetitive and the fact that the last song doesn’t fit with the album scheme at all, really pulls down the quality of the project. While the highs are high, the lows are way too low. There needed to be a better balance on this mixtape. Therefore I would give this mixtape a ⅗.


JS: This is a fun mixtape and I enjoy the concept. Even the songs that I don’t really like, I can still listen to and respect. A swell mix of artists, this is a solid 2/2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment