Sunday, September 3, 2017

17 - Xxxtentacion Review feat Gio

Yo, what's poppin? I know that it's been forever but I'm back now and I have a schedule for the blog now. I'm gonna try to post a new review every weekend, so let's see how that works out. This review has a special guest reviewer on it. Gio is back and is gonna be back more frequently. Shoutout to Gio. Let's get to it.

17 - Xxxtentacion




So I really did not like this guy. He really irked me and I felt like he was just trying too hard to be an edge lord. Just take a look at this XXL freshman cypher and you'll see what I mean. His part sounded like he was trying to summon a demon. Hella school shooter vibes. This album honestly surprised the hell out of me. I want to call this album emo-rap, but there are actually not that many songs that are rap on this. I really like that. This album is completely different than his other stuff. 


Jocelyn Flores

J: This song has a nice guitar in the background and starts off sounding very relaxed, but once he starts rapping you notice, it's actually really sad. He actually pops off on his verses, although it is a very short song. It's a good song though and it really sets the vibe for the rest of the album. If you came into this album expecting more of his "Look at me" type songs than you are in the wrong place.

G: This song starts the album off with a very deep tone to it, it's a very sad and depressing tone and when he actually starts to sing beyond the chorus he starts talking about this girl that is stuck on his mind and how he received a phone call one night that she had killed herself and he just can't stop thinking about her, he is in emotional pain he is contemplating suicide but also says he is stable at the same time, then in his next verse he starts to explain how people don't wanna see him succeed but people love see what his moves are and how he is making quick moves and it's a very dangerous decision and gets into him getting locked up off bad decisions.
Depression and Obsession 

J: Here is a song that does isn't a rap song at all. This song actually does not have that many lyrics to it, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I like the guitar in the beat and that it's actually a very simple beat, since it's just the guitar and the background vocals with him singing.
G:This song covers two emotions or feelings that he feels and how they are a dangerous mix and that obviously being depression and obsession. He feels depressed over a girl that he cared for and he talks about how they first met at makeout hill so they must have a little chemistry and that caused him to care and become obsessed with this girl and she wasn't feeling the same way which caused him to feel depressed.
Everybody Dies in their Nightmares

J: This is one of my favorite songs off of the album. When the album just came out, I was not really going to give it a chance at all, since all the title sound kinda edgy, but this is the song I first listened to and I was positively surprised. This song has a really good beat and I really enjoy his delivery on this song.
In this song he says:

  " Tired of feelin' like I'm trapped in my damn mind,
Tired of feelin' like I'm wrapped in a damn lie.
Tired of feelin' like my life is a damn game."

I feel like everyone kind of feels like this at some point and time so it is very relatable. He also at one point talks about not wanting to go outside so he doesn't get stuck in traffic and I feel like that is also quite relatable. Although not as deep as those other 3 lines.

G: This song starts really edgy with the background saying don't go, don't go to sleep, don't go, stay up and don't go. He just generally talks about all the things if life he hates and how he feels like he's trapped in his mind no one else understands him and he is a living lie and that his life is a game, he also speaks about wanting to die in the nighttime and I believe he just wants to die in his sleep.
Revenge

J: I really enjoy this song. It fits very well with the vibe of the album and it's a very personal song, like all of the songs on this album are. I will say though, the lyrics are very dark and edgy, but they fit.
G: The title is self explanatory for this track it just is talking about revenge on someone he used to love. He talks about how he dug two graves for him and someone else which must mean he thought that they would be together but she had other plans. He talks about how broken hearts break bones meaning someone who is heart broken can do something crazy as revenge to get back at someone for leaving them he uses some examples by saying some steal, some kill, some break your heart and he talks about how he don't wanna let it go so he will rot in his grave and he won't rest until he feels he is content with revenge even if it takes time.
Save me

J: This song has a Pink Floyd vibe to it. It's all about how he wants someone to help him. X is dealing with some messed up stuff. This is pretty much a cry for help.
G: This song is really deep and I feel as if the meaning might be deeper than is seen, he starts speaking saying he is in the dark side and asking if anyone wants to be his friend to tell him when is this ever gonna end and he has voices in his head just saying he is going to end up dead all I can think is that his mind is in such a dark place and he need help finding the way out of this state or he is actually gonna end up dead and he is crying out for someone to save him, someone get this depressed n*gga some help please he is putting me in my bag.
Dead Inside (Interlude)

J: Y'all know how I feel about interludes. This one isn't too bad though. It fits the album well.
G: This song talks about how he feels like he is dead inside and the love he felt for someone is gone because he was cheated on and he starts to picture the moments in his head and he says he pictures it very vivid and it hurts even more that he can picture it.
Fuck love feat Trippie Reed

J: I like this song. It's a more upbeat song, even though it still has a sad vibe to it. I appreciate it though. Trippie Reed does work on this song and leaves a pretty good mark on the album with this feature. A friend of mine had recently told that Trippie Reed was good, but I hadn't really listened to him like that. I might have to now.


G: This song he starts talking about he needs this girl in his life and he don't want her to switch up on him and he don't want what they have to just be thrown away but then he starts getting into how he feels nauseous and feels like she ripped his heart out and talks about how he cried over it so much his eyes are all cried out and it's causing him to go crazy and how he hears gunshots in his head and how he is losing his mind thinking of riots Trippie Redd is gonna blow up just wait on it.
Carry On

J: After a more upbeat sounding song we are back to the sad, depressed vibes. I like it though, this one has a very intense sound to it. It's a very simple beat and his delivery is very forceful. I really like the part where he is a little muffled and then it gets very clear and a little bit louder. That was a bad explanation, but if you listen to the song you will see what I mean.

G: This song talks about how he starts to get over this girl but he always gets back into a depressed state and this girl absolutely hates him he states that she would probably dance in his grave but all he could ever do is picture her face which hates that he still loves her, he is lost in his feelings he feels like without her he is good but he just can't shake the feelings he had for her.
Orlando
J: I like this song a lot. The piano in the background is great. This song really fits the album well. This is another prime example of this album not being a rap album.

G: Here he starts speaking about he pain just don't stop and he just wants to find out how to stop it so he can start a new life and he feels as if the only way to do it is to embrace death and take it with a smile on his face then he starts talking about how he wasted tears and time on someone and how he can't keep love in his life at all because it always ends and he don't react well to it.
Ayala (Outro)

J: This is a good outro to the album. It fits the vibe very well. I'm guessing Ayala was the name of his first love. This is a good ending.

G: In the last song he talks about how a girl showed him what love is but took it away from him and he wrote down a list of things he regrets and she was number one because the pain that she had left him with was a unforgettable pain.

Verdict

James: I was going to give this album an 8, seeing as how I really did not like him coming into this and truly believed that he was trying to hard to be an edge lord and what not. This album changed my impression of him. It is a very emotional and personal album and I'm very impressed by this. So i'll give him a 9/10. The only reason he doesn't get a full 10/10 is because this whole album is only 22 minutes long. That's hella short for an album with 11 songs on it. But it is still a good album.

Gio: 10/10 (honestly would give it a 8 or 9 but I came into this hating this man and thinking he is the devil which I still think he is but he amazed me with the talent he has and how great the album is).
Top 3 songs

Gio:

Jocelyn Flores
Fuck love Carry on
James:

Everybody Dies in their Nightmares
Revenge
Carry On

No comments:

Post a Comment