Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Best Of 2017 With Giovanni And Joie

Yo, what's up? I hope everyone had a happy holiday. It's the end of the year and instead of doing a million top 10 lists, we decided to just have different categories and everyone picks their favorite. Giovanni and Joie are on this one, so it's not just me. I hope everyone has a good New Year. Stay safe. So without any further adieu let's get to it.




Best Of 2017

Album Of The Year

James: Good For You - Aminé

This was a tough one. It was between Kendrick's album and this one. The only reason I picked this one over Kendrick's is because I personally listen to this one more. To me this album showed that Aminé wasn't just a one hit wonder with "Caroline". This is one of the few albums of the year that I can actually listen through all the way without skipping or fast forwarding through anything. I really enjoyed the sound of the album and the song "Spice Girls" is one of my favorite songs at this time.
Aminé also surprised a lot of people with his verse on the XXL freshmen 2017 cypher by using his verse off of "Wedding Crashers" before it came out.
This album won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it a whole bunch.

Gio: More Life - Drake In my opinion this is the best album of the year barely beating Kendrick Lamar’s damn by such a small margin. I picked more life because i feel as if this was drake picking up the slack he left on views he learned from his mistakes and built off it, he had tracks that show off his many talents if you wanna say he robs flows then say it but don’t doubt drake songs will be stuck in your head all day, the tracks are pretty good not many bad or boring tracks on this album, like it or not just like Uncle murda said drake got mainstream on their knee pads. Overall i feel like the album was well made and got a lot of replay value to it
Joie: Pretty Girls Like Trap Music - 2 Chainz

I just like 2 Chainz. The album art is very pretty. All the songs are pretty good, especially the ones with features on them. The marketing for the album was dang good, especially the 2 Chainz online pop up shop. I also the like the color pink.
 
Worst Album Of The Year

James: No Shame - Hopsin

Hating J.Cole and Russ is the wave right now, but people forget who truly is the worst rapper in the game. It's Tyga. I haven't heard a Tyga project since he came out with "Rack City" and I don't really know the names or quantity of albums he dropped this year, but I can say without a doubt that they are the worst. The reason I didn't pick J.Cole or Russ is that although I dislike both of them, they have a couple of songs that I can tolerate/like. Tyga on the other hand is a different story. He got all his fame from dating Kylie Jenner and once they broke up he pretty much dropped from the radar. I mean let's be real here. Who is ever gonna ask for a Tyga feature?
Y'all might be wondering why I wrote all that about Tyga when I really put the Hopsin project as the worst. The reason for that is because I might definitely wrote all of that stuff about Russ, J.Cole and Tyga and then took a break and thought about it. It's unfair for me to just generalize and say that Tyga has the worst album when I haven't heard a single Tyga song in forever. I have on the other hand heard two songs off Hopsin's new album and both of them are terrible. He's a cornball.
Gio: Teenage Emotions - Lil Yachty (should’ve been Russ or J.cole but this is just as bad) Literally a waste of a project don’t tell me otherwise I’m not trynna hear it, the only reason i own a psychical copy of this album is for the replica grills judge me for it i never finished listening to the album never will. This album was nothing compared to lil boat which also wasn’t a amazing album but it had some good tracks to it but if you enjoy hearing my man say peekaboo way too many times then that’s all you

Joie: Revival - Eminem

This doesn't really need any explaining.
Most Hype/Lit Album


James: Still Striving - ASAP Ferg

I was gonna put Cozy Tapes Vol. 2 but this project is hype all the way through. There are a bunch of features and it's very enjoyable. I also like it because Ferg's last album was not the best, but this redeemed him in my eyes. It's a fun project to listen to.

Gio: Lil Pump - Lil Pump Ya can hate me for this but my man had the best year he could have this album is LIT i promise you lil pump is the goat. This album got bangers on top of bangers, honestly Lil pump isn’t for everyone but it you can vibe to one song it’s gonna get worse from there you will become addicted to his music. The rap savior from Harvard most definitely deserves this title
Joie: DAMN. - "Kung-Fu Kenny" (Kendrick Lamar)

Every song on this album is hype. I bought this album and I don't regret it at all. I still listen to it, unlike some that I mention later on in this list.
From the beginning starting with "Blood" to the end with "Duckworth" this album is just hype.
Overhyped Album Of The Year

James: Lil Pump - Lil Pump

I really did not think that this album was all that. I mean I'm surprised by some of the features and I'm not saying that this is the worst album of the year, it's just that when it was announced everyone was super hype about it and then it wasn't really all that. The expectations weren't that high, but after X's album I was hoping to be surprised again.
Gio: Grateful - Dj Khalid The album isn’t bad but it’s overhyped he put all the bangers out and when all the rest of the tracks dropped with the album they weren’t that good and if you have this man on Snapchat you would know how much this was promoted and how much he still puts stuff pertaining to it on his snaps. I’m happy it was successful and shout out to ashad but this album had way more hype behind it that it didn’t need
Joie: 4:44 - Jay-Z

I bought tidal just because of this album. I'm still paying for Tidal. I listened to this album once maybe. Fuck this Album. The hype around this album made me purchase Tidal, but I guess he won in the end since I bought Tidal. So I'm the real loser.
Most Disappointing Album

James: Revival - Eminem

Whenever I hear that a new Em album is coming out I get excited at first and then I remember his recent releases and that excitement vanishes. His last album was alright, but nothing too crazy. What changed it for me this time was the marketing they were doing for this album, with the billboard in the background of an instagram photo and stuff like that. He also had a rap (spoken word) part at the BET awards where he basically just shit talked the president. So i got excited for this album, I'm not going to lie.
But then I heard a snippet of a song and all that excitement vanished. I wanted nothing more than it to be fake or something. It wasn't and that is why this album was the most disappointing one for me. He brought my hope up and then had them crash down.
Gio: Revival - Eminem This album was disappointing to me because as a fan of Eminem i was expecting something that i wasn’t given. This album doesn’t take away from the lyrical talent he has because she executes it like he always does by your lyrics are only a portion and the other missing part was the beats i feel as if they didn’t fit to the style he has and the message he tries to send maybe this album just needs to soak in but i think it might be awhile before i can honestly say i was pleased with the outcome of this album

Joie: More Life - Drake

Bought this album. It's too long. More Life wasted, am I right? But I still bought it. So Drake wins in the end.
 
Song Of The Year
James: Humble or DNA - Kendrick Lamar

I thought really long and hard about this one and I have to go with either Humble or DNA by Kenny. When I think of the year I think of these songs (and also Bodak Yellow) but those two songs are better I think.

Gio: Bodak Yellow - Cardi B
It’s hard to get away from this song it was everywhere this song blew up out of nowhere this is the thot anthem of 2017 and gets placed as my top song of 2017 for the fact of how many people know it word for word and the amount of plays it has and how she really got some serious clout of the track
Joie: Plain Jane Remix - ASAP Ferg feat Nicki Minaj

I'm a big fan of "Slob On My Knob." That's all, big fan. 
Most Surprising Album Of The Year

James: SYRE - Jaden Smith

This was going to be 17 by Xxxtentacion but I was more surprised by this Jaden Smith album. They are surprising for different reasons. While X's album was surprising because it was raw and emotional and wasn't really a rap album. It also shed light on a topic that isn't really talked about that much in rap music, which is mental illness in POC. It also made a fan out of me, which is wild because I really did not like him prior to hearing this album. Now before anyone thinks some dumb shit, just because I like his music doesn't mean that I support what he allegedly did. Let's not be childish.
The reason why I went with the Jaden project is because Jaden just pops off on pretty much every single track. This album also flows together unbelievably well. It's been a while since I heard an album that was so well put together. The fact that it starts with an intro split into 4 songs (B,L,U,E) and that it doesn't get boring is an accomplishment in my book.
Gio: 17 - Xxxtentacion This was a tough decision between this album and Jaden Smith’s sure but i just never expected x to make me a fan like he did especially off of depressing music but once i heard this album and looked more into x i noticed the amazing talent he has and how he takes he feelings and emotions and puts it into his music, this album is a prime example of his pain and depression while revenge maybe a little more of his more aggressive feelings shout out goes to my man x for giving us two great projects this year and beating the case here’s to hoping he has a easier year in 2018
Joie: 17 - Xxxtentacion

I didn't like him because of "Look At Me." It seemed very violent and there was something that didn't settle well with me. The lyric: " My emo bitch like her wrist slit" is a prime example of everything that I hated about that song. 17 seemed like the polar opposite of that song and I like that it talks about mental illness which is an under talked about issue in the rap community. There was that whole controversy with Post Malone when he was asked about what he listened to when he to cry. This album is pretty much the representation that I believe was lacking in rap music. It was a change from the status quo, which I can appreciate.
Rapper Of The Year

James: Rich Chigga

I'm gonna have to go with Rich Chigga on this one. This might seem like a weird choice, but out of the rap that I've heard this year he has been my favorite. All of the singles he has released were amazing and he seems like a funny guy. The videos of Post Malone and him getting each other bands to play their songs for each other for their birthdays are amazing.
His debut album is set to drop Feb 2nd, 2018 and I am very excited for it.
Gio: Cardi B It kind of bothers me to have this as my choice but I’m not gonna pick my favorite rapper over someone who put in work this year. You may think she only really did good on bodak yellow but her features aren’t that bad and she had a pretty memoriable year outside of music she really did her thing this year good luck with the next year Joie: Nicki Minaj

She was the best part in any track she was featured on. She was the part I looked forward to. Plain Jane remix, Realize, Krippy Kush remix, Rake It Up, No Frauds, The Way Life Goes Remix.

Album That Grew On You Over Time
James:  N/A

I honestly can't think of one. Once I dislike an album I don't give it a second chance since I'm stubborn. So i'm gonna take a moment to talk about something that has bothered me a lot this year. When Lil Peep died all these people became sudden Lil Peep fans and were saying that he was the best, etc. Here's the thing, no disrespect to him, but his music was not all that. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't crazy good. I knew of him before he died and the songs I heard are the ones everyone loves now. If you guys weren't fans of his before he died then you should not be hyping him up like that. I'm not saying this to be on some hipster shit or anything. I'm just saying. I think that if he was still alive and making music he could have blown up and developed his sound even more and that would have been dope. It's sad that he died, but that doesn't make him one of the best rappers.

Gio: Luv Is Rage 2 - Lil Uzi Vert This was one of my most anticipated albums of the year and i was very disappointed when it actually dropped i felt like i couldn’t really get into any track but it started with neon guts then that lead into sauce it up and before i knew it i was bumping this album in a regular it was definitely bumped heavy while i was at work shout out to uzi for making another amazing project maybe not as good as the first luv us rage or lil uzi very vs the world but def deserves the recognition it gets
Joie: N/A

Most Underrated Album

James: Stranger - Yung Lean

I've been a Yung Lean fan for a while now, but I have to say I wasn't really keeping up with his new shit that much, but this album blew me away. It has a very spacey and dreamlike feel to it and it has some great bars. Yung Lean does a good job of painting pictures with his lyrics. This song was also in contention for album of the year.
Gio: Perfect timing - Nav And Metro Boomin The only reason i gave this album was for metro i never planned on listening to nav but I’m glad it happened. Within 3 days i knew every word to every song on this album it’s hella catchy and obviously the beats are on point no on can top metro. I feel like this album was slept on and if you didn’t give it a listen you should
Joie: N/A  

Notable Mentions

James:

1. Cozy Tapes Vol. 2 - ASAP Mob (RIP ASAP YAMS)
2. Any Nikki Minaj feature this year (she popped off)
3. Pretty Girls Like Trap Music - 2 Chainz
4. Young Thug (great year for him)
5. Girasoul - Pell

Gio:

1. Playboy carti - playboy carti 2. Stoney - post Malone 3. Still striving - ASAP ferg 4. American teen - khalid 5. Cozy tapes vol.2 - Asap mob

Joie:

1. Post Malone
2. SYRE - Jaden Smith
3. Beautiful Thugger Girls - Young Thug
4. Phaggot - Lil Phag
5. Bhad Bhabie

No comments:

Post a Comment